Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raised a kitten from 3 days old and he loves almost anything I cook although I know they need special nutritional requirements and Grayson is just going to have to wait until he is an adult . Meanwhile I give him samples to enjoy so he does not become finicky.

I plan to feed an array, wet canned, kibble and cooked homemade and treats. Ground Beef, Pork Tenderloin, Salmon , Tilapia, Turkey, Chicken and Beef and Chicken dinners mixed with 1/3 cup spinach, broccoli, green bean, carrot or green peas (3 meals) for the first 100 calories/day. Perhaps fried egg with Liver and cheese snacks extra as treats. Less than the 10% carbs which they don't need, but with vitamins they do. Also adding about 2 1/2 ounce of chicken livers in total within all the recipes for the week. Too much is toxic but loads of required vitamins and taurine are in it. I feel that this weekly menu offers Variety and different vitamins

I am still uncertain what vitamins might still be needed. ADE and K are fat soluble and therefore build up in the system and can cause toxicity.
Taurine is lost in grinding and cutting and is water soluble, so I am not afraid to give a little of that that passes the extra in urine. Bone meal or calcium is needed in a ratio to phosphorous, so again unsure. Do I need to add Vitamin E or D found in fish when he will get fish twice a week or add olive oil or wheat germ? If so, how much?
If his wet and dry commercial foods meet AAFCO standards, surely 50% homemade will up the protein content and lower the carbs in his diet overall for healthier eating and digestion..

This is my plan and I may have a veterinary dietician look it over. Has anyone fed their cats anything for years safely with no health issues? So far kitty is happy and healthy and I want to keep him that way. I believe food for human consumption has to be healthier for these carnivores. However , I had a couple of outdoor cats who thrived on kibble only for 20 plus years. Both had UTI problems due to dry kibble I expect and both were good mousers. Who knows what to read and believe?

Registered
Hi!

Cats are carnivores, just like you said, and I don鈥檛 recommend giving your cat vegetables. Their bodies are not made to digest those foods. I also don鈥檛 recommend giving your cat cooked food because some of the nutrients disappear while heating the food up. If you want to give your cat something other than dry food and wet food, I highly recommend going on a raw diet.

Check out this website for raw food guidelines:
Raw Feeding Guides for Adult Cats - Perfectly Rawsome

Remember that cats are allergic to chocolate, garlic, onion, grapes, raisins, avocado and nuts. Just a small amount of these foods can be deadly. Cats can also not eat any fruit because fruit contains sugar and acid that affects the cat鈥檚 teeth negatively. All cats are also lactose intolerant and are not made to eat any dairy.

I hope this will help you!

Premium Member
Go to catinfo.org before you start feeding your cat. It鈥檚 a great document to read. Also, don鈥檛 feed your cat any fish. As noted above vegetables should not be apart of their diet.

Registered
Go to catinfo.org before you start feeding your cat. It鈥檚 a great document to read. Also, don鈥檛 feed your cat any fish. As noted above vegetables should not be apart of their diet.
Why do you say not to feed fish to your cat? Cooked fish is fine to feed a cat as far as I know, although of course it needs to be part of a properly balanced diet. Many cat foods have fish in them.

Super Moderator
From a quick search:

A lot of cats love fish, but feeding it as more than a very occasional treat could treat is not a good idea and could be harmful to your cat鈥檚 health. The primary fish used in cat food are salmon, tilefish (usually identified as ocean whitefish on the label) and tuna. Each of them presents health issues, because fish can contain toxic doses of common water pollutants, heavy metals, and other contaminants. Mercury is considered one of the top ten chemicals of major public health concern by the World Health Organization.

Also once cats get a taste of fish, it's hard to get them to eat anything else. When I rescued Cinderella, she was being fed Chicken of the Sea tuna. It was so hard to get her off that.

Registered
From a quick search:

A lot of cats love fish, but feeding it as more than a very occasional treat could treat is not a good idea and could be harmful to your cat鈥檚 health. The primary fish used in cat food are salmon, tilefish (usually identified as ocean whitefish on the label) and tuna. Each of them presents health issues, because fish can contain toxic doses of common water pollutants, heavy metals, and other contaminants. Mercury is considered one of the top ten chemicals of major public health concern by the World Health Organization.

Also once cats get a taste of fish, it's hard to get them to eat anything else. When I rescued Cinderella, she was being fed Chicken of the Sea tuna. It was so hard to get her off that.
OK, this all makes sense, thanks. I have not had the experience of giving a cat fish and then having them not want anything else, but of course I wouldn't just feed fish only, and can see how that would cause a cat to demand only that. Had not thought about the heavy metal levels and so on. Gee whiz. sometimes it seems as though nothing is safe for anyone to eat any more. Even food supposedly grown organically is not free of pollutants, GMOs and other undesirable things, because nothing can be grown outdoors without coming into contact with those elements through the air. heck, nothing indoors either unless it were somehow hermetically sealed with filtered air!

So, we just have to do the best we can.

Super Moderator
Yeah, I'm having air flown in from Hawaii. We'll see how that goes.

• Haha
Reactions: Mosi
1 - 9 of 9 Posts