Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switching from butter to some unsaturated vegetable type and wondering what works. I like Parkay margerine too, but gets hard at room temp so clogs up the arteries too.

Olive Oil is what I used this morning, but the taste is not to my liking, so I used the Louisiana Hot Sauce to cover it. It also seems to pop alot, splattering everywhere.

Just wondering what works best and what I need to consider, like the choices, corn, sunflower, safflower, and the advantages/disadvantages.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Cat Daddy said:
Olive Oil is what I used this morning, but the taste is not to my liking, so I used the Louisiana Hot Sauce to cover it. It also seems to pop alot, splattering everywhere.
What type of olive oil did you use? Was it extra-virgin, light, etc? Cheap olive oil can have a sort of chemical taste. A good quality oil tastes much better. Also, what were you cooking? Olive oil doesn't taste right with every food.

Canola oil is also low in saturated fats and doesn't have any overpowering flavors.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Value(Big BoxMart) light tasting, but I am going to a Vegetable based one instead because I have had other Olive Oil that tasted icky, but it was probally not the good stuff either, Pam, No-Stick Spray stuff, real icky as I remember.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yes, cheap olive oil is shnasty. Also, you only have to use a tiny amount, maybe you used too much?? What were you using it to cook?

If you like hot, there is a Wasabi Olive Oil that is yummy! :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Oh man... Alton Brown just did a show on deep-frying where he covered information on all kinds of oils. I wish I could remember all of the info.

Well, anyway, I use canola oil for basic frying and pan lubrication. I use extra virgin olive oil for frying italian foods (like chicken parmesan) and salad dressings. For grilled cheese sandwiches, butter is your only option. :wink:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use about 2 tble spoons for the hash browns and 1 for the scrammbled eggs. Probally way too much, but the hot sauce worked in this case.

Salmon was the last thing I used the olive oil on, and that was so bad the cats didn't share in on it, probally used too much here too.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Cat Daddy said:
Great Value(Big BoxMart) light tasting
8O

Cheap olive oil would turn anyone off. No wonder you didn't like the taste. Pass the hot sauce, please!! :lol: :lol:

Decent olive oil doesn't have to cost a fortune. Look for a product that is extra-virgin, first cold press. If it comes from Italy, all the better!! My store often has one brand on sale. Remember, you are not deep frying in it -- you only need a tablespoon or so for pan sauteing. :wink:

A really good trick is to cook in one tablespoon of olive oil combined with one tablespoon of butter. Not as healthy as the oil alone, but delicious!! :D

A quality olive oil can also be used for salad dressing or for dipping a chuck of good bread. Yum!!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Annissa said:
For grilled cheese sandwiches, butter is your only option. :wink:
Actually, that's not true. If you use a smidgen (and I do mean a tiny amount) of olive oil to just cover the bottom of the pan without pooling, you can make a DIVINE grilled cheese sandwhich :D Very light and crispy without being greasy or soggy.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did a google on 'cooking oils' and found an interesting yet questionable article on coconut oil, but they also sell the brand on their web sight so that's where the reliabilty of info is questionable.
http://www.mercola.com

As for the olive oil, I like all the advise, but just not sure I am going to like the taste, though I will know how to look for the good stuff now.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Good quality extra virgin olive oil is my favorite. If you ever watch food network and hear them always saying use EVOO that is what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Cat Daddy said:
I just did a google on 'cooking oils' and found an interesting yet questionable article on coconut oil, but they also sell the brand on their web sight so that's where the reliabilty of info is questionable.
http://www.mercola.com

As for the olive oil, I like all the advise, but just not sure I am going to like the taste, though I will know how to look for the good stuff now.

YIKES, using coconut oil & palm oil are "heart attacks just waiting to happen"! :yikes

Olive and cannola oils are the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the canola oil at under $2, worked well with the hashbrowns,

but I wasn't so impressed with the scrambled eggs--it seemed to mix right in with it(I stir in pan) and until the started to solidify it was as if I had no oil in there.

But, I have to say almost no flavor that I could tell from tasting it off my finger, so I geuss I won't have to ask oil questions till this ones' gone, and thanks for all the guidance.

I also have the butter and olive oil to finish off too. Neighbor's veal tomorrow, he paid in meat for helping to move furniture, 1 whole chicken, 2lbs veal, and some summer sausage for 15 mins work. His parents own a small meat packing operation.

They did have the Evoo(I think it was spelled different) stuff too, but it was half canola and half something else at $4 for the small bottle, that's when I deceided canola was most mentioned here, so it's probally good stuff.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Cat Daddy, how do you make your scrambled eggs? My dad makes them with oil mixed in with the egg (yick!) but I just mix in milk as the "filler". They come out light and fluffy. It might save my pan some scratching to coat the pan with a little bit of some kind of oil but I have not tried this.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cat Daddy's Scammbled Egg Breakfast;

Make Hashbrowns first, higher temp required, like 'em golden brown. I also heat the plate with a little water on it in the microwave, keeps the hash browns hot as I do eggs.

Turn flame down to just above simmer, slightly cool pan off to the side, put in oil, 3 eggs, vanila soy milk, Loiusiana hot sauce, salt, pepper,

stir with plastic fork, as now things have cooled enough. Then return to the burner and intermittenly stir with spat as they cook, I don't let it get too cooked on the bottom for more of a 'fluff'.

Today the canola oil splattered a bit as I didn't let pan cool enough before putting in eggs.

I worked as a line cook in a mexican place, and from that I can usually measure by eye as I go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts