Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Star is still chewing on cords, though thankfully my ex-husband has been putting his headphones up, so we haven't lost anymore of those. Star chewed on the cord to my alarm clock, which surprised me because it isn't made from the same type of material as David's headphones. Is it possible that he's doing this because his gums are bothering him? We haven't taken him to the vet to get his teeth cleaned because I wanted to get a quote from our vet as the the cost. It's going to be at least $300 USD for a teeth cleaning. $135 for the anesthesia, $75-$95 for the actual cleaning (depending on how severe the plaque is) and $39.50 for the antibiotic shot that he'll receive, plus any additional costs that are optional. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Gwendolyn chews cords also, very frustrating. She seems to mostly do it to act out though, which I can't quite understand. For example, if we are not giving her food (we can't free freed, the cats eat till puking) and she reaches the end of her patience she will chew up cords. Dunno what to do about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
re: bitter apple

nope, hadn't tried that. Tried orange and lemon as we were told cats didn't typically like citrus but that didn't work. Tried the spray bottle of water with no effect either. Are we meant to be making this bitter apple spray or buying it?

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
Bitter Apple works with my girls. You can buy it at pet stores, and I think even at Wal-Mart and Target. It may say it's for dogs, but it's safe for cats, too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put baby cord protectors over some of my cords to protect them.

I also put cardboard boxes all over my apartment. My kittens love chewing them and so far it seems to be saving my furniture from being eaten!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use some of that cord protection stuff.....basically just clear plastic tubing with a slit down it so you can slip the cord in. It's got an awful smell that cats, etc don't like. The smell takes about 2 weeks to not stink up the entire house.
It works great....Yoshi won't chew it, but it's hideous so we only have it on a couple of cords.

I plan on trying the bitter apple spray for sure. He does it for attention, which is weird....cause I give him so much attention I'm surprised he's not sick of me.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know what I need to do to get him to stop chewing on the cords, but what I want to know is if he could be chewing them to relieve the pain. You know, like a baby with a teething ring...how they chew on those when their gums hurt from the baby teeth coming in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know what I need to do to get him to stop chewing on the cords, but what I want to know is if he could be chewing them to relieve the pain. You know, like a baby with a teething ring...how they chew on those when their gums hurt from the baby teeth coming in.
I thought that's what Yoshi was doing when he was teething, but he still does it now....and he has all his adult teeth in. So I guess it's hard to really know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts