Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm headed to the grocer soon and am going to pick up a CGH for ET! I'm very excited. Hoofmaiden, I know you mentioned quartering it. I plan to do that. I am still feeding ET about 2oz wet/day along with 1/3 scoop dry (but moving away from the dry, of course) along with one wet meal (largely boneless/skinless chicken breast). Would the 1/4 CGH account for an entire days worth? I'm closely monitoring ETs weight through all this, but I have a feeling I'm overfeeding him.

Thanks so much.

-BP

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
1/4 CGH is plenty for one day, but of course it's best to feed cats twice a day. Rather than cutting them up into smaller pieces, on the 2-3 days a week I feed CGH, they get 1/4 ea in the a.m. and in the p.m. they get a VERY small meal of meatymeat--half what they usually get. Seems to be working well. :)

Expect your cats to leave some of the bigger bones. That's fine. I just let the dogs clean those up for me. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, there is A LOT of meat in those things!!

I quartered it and ET is trying to figure out what to make of it all. I helped him with a piece of neck which he ended up doing very well with. And I understand what everyone here says now- it is very satisfying to listen to them CRUNCH!

I'm going to let him keep working through the quarter, and see how far he gets. Meanwhile I'm going to bag up the remaining pieces.

This may sound very silly, but what do I do with the "giblet bag" that came in the hen? How do I know what is what?

Thanks for putting up with all my silly, amateur questions!

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Wow -- you got a neck and giblets? Mine never come w/ those. :( The chickens, yes, but not the CGHs. I'm envious! Keep 'em and feed them later! Usually the giblets are the liver, kidneys (both good organs to feed), and gizzard (good meatymeat).

And yeah, I would let him eat for a while. What he doesn't eat, you can rinse and put in a baggie for tomorrow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened the giblet mystery bag and was able to ID kidneys (which are surprisingly large I think!), liver, and something else that looked like another neck?! Haha. I always was afraid of the turkey giblet bag as I kid so I never really got a good look at it.

I'm shocked at how much meat I got... and with organ too as a bonus! I bagged everything up and stuck it in the freezer. For some reason at the grocer the CGH were packaged in twos, so I got 2 complete hens for $7.50. That will turn into, at the absolute max, <$1/day. That's INCREDIBLE!

ET's response to a good meal? Rocketbutting around the house :roll: hehe. I've left the remainder of today's meal down for him, and he is definitely still giving it some thought between his rocket episodes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not know that! Thankfully, I just dug the wrapper out of the trash and the sodium is 40mg/white, 55mg/dark :-D

While I have your attention :) , could you fill me in/point me to information about the phosphorus concerns with meat? I recall reading in another post something about a "phosphorus blocker" or "absorber." I may be mistaken, but I want to avoid too much phosphorus as that seems to cause a problem.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Nooooo. There is NO REASON to worry about phosphorus. Cats need phosphorus. You only use a phos binder for cats with CRF (kidney disease). Just feed your kitty and don't worry!

How much are your cornish game hens weighing? I'm wondering if they are bigger than mine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! That was it. It was in a thread where someone had a cat with CRF. I guess I focused in on the phos binder comment that I took it out of context.

The package was 3.2lbs for 2 CGH, so I'd imagine 1.6lbs each. Is that big? It sounds big to me, but I'm not too sure what to compare it to.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Yeah, that's bigger than mine! Mine are tiny. You might need to cut them into smaller pieces for ET and freeze the rest so you don't waste any. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely will. Now I understand why ET was quite intimidated with ~1/4 lb of chicken on his plate! Haha.

Another thing that is interesting is I've noticed ET to be a bit more "protective" of his raw meal ie. he likes to take bites and then move a few feet away from me to eat it. He isn't rude or aggressive, but its almost like he knows it is going to take him a little longer and he wants some space to work through it.

What really amazes me is something you said, hoofmaiden, when I first started feeding him raw: that they are emotionally satisfied after eating. Today ET didn't eat a whole lot volume-wise, but he was SO happy afterward. He was a rocketbutt for a while, but then he settled down for a long rest with lots of grooming and snoozing :luv

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
ETrescued said:
Another thing that is interesting is I've noticed ET to be a bit more "protective" of his raw meal ie. he likes to take bites and then move a few feet away from me to eat it. He isn't rude or aggressive, but its almost like he knows it is going to take him a little longer and he wants some space to work through it.
Yup. And it's also a very high-value meal! He's probably still worried that it's all a big mistake and that you'll come to your senses and take it away! He'll relax over time when he realizes that he really IS supposed to have it and that he'll have time to work on it. :)
What really amazes me is something you said, hoofmaiden, when I first started feeding him raw: that they are emotionally satisfied after eating. Today ET didn't eat a whole lot volume-wise, but he was SO happy afterward. He was a rocketbutt for a while, but then he settled down for a long rest with lots of grooming and snoozing :luv
Yup. Interestingly, back when I fed kibble/canned, my cats were actually WAY more annoying about mealtimes, esp. in the a.m. I have never fed them as soon as I get up, but even so, they used to wake me up, be annoying, etc. Now they don't. I feel sure that the reason is that they are getting so much more from their food -- both physically (b/c they are actually USING 99% of it instead of pooping out all the crap that is in pet foods that they can't use) and psychologically -- that they don't feel as hungry when mealtime comes around. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update: I am SUCH a proud momma! After watching the video of Jonah working eating the leg bone, I gave one to ET and he had SO much fun eating it! I can't believe how far he has come as far as chewing goes in less than a month. When I first fed him even chicken cubes he needed help to figure out how to chew them. Now he's picking meat off bones :luv

Edited to add that the only thing I've found ET to have an issue with is skin. He won't touch a piece of hen that has skin on it, and I can't say I blame him.

(and hoofmaiden, I didn't mean to suggest animal research in the other thread- just casual observation [like is already being done] to help cat owners make a more educated decision)

Thank ya!

-BP

·
Banned
952 Posts
Watching your cat eat what he was meant to eat, knowing you're giving him the very best nutrition available - it's a good feeling, eh, ET? :luv

Don't think me weird or anything, but sometimes I look forward to coming home just 'cause I get to feed the kitties again. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
ETrescued said:
Edited to add that the only thing I've found ET to have an issue with is skin. He won't touch a piece of hen that has skin on it, and I can't say I blame him.
Oh, he will. Give him time. Nothing wrong w/ skin and it's full of fat that cats need. :) Congrats!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts