Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as some of you know, my cat just started spraying, and i went out a got some vinegar today, and i want to know the proper way to use it.. Like do u just put it on a cloth and wipe the wall/where ever he sprayed, or like do i have to do something else.. thx in advance for help..

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Vinegar will not help. You need to clean with an enzymatic cleaner that will actually break down the urine. Your cat will not be fooled by putting one scent (vinegar) on top of another (cat pee).

Has your cat been neutered yet? If not, better get it done before the spraying becomes a habit!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have an appointment set for march 2nd to get him fixed, they had to make it 3 weeks after the shots he just got..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what commercial product do u recommend for me to
#1 Get the smell out
#2 Stop him from returning to the spot..

Be specific if u can

·
Registered
137 Posts
There are tons of enzymatic cleaners available in actual pet shops...and there are also some that can be ordered online through PetSmart.com and Petco. The smell will be destroyed permanently for both you and your cat if the directions for the product are followed carefully.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Yes, the smell will be gone. Then I would spray Bitter Apple in the area, and hope that the neutering will stop the spraying for good. Feliway might also help keep kitty calm. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, tomorrow, im going to look around to see what my local pet store has, and hopefully they will have some in stock, because i need this spray NOW..

Ok, i would like to know how to use this stuff... Right after he sprays, do i just spray it on there then wipe it up, or wipe up what he did, then spray the stuff...Sorry for all of the newbie questions, but this is my first cat i ever had, im not used to all of this stuff...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I hope I'm not too late with a reply. I never check the internet on the weekends (sorry). I highly recommend Nature's Miracle. The downside to it is that it will smell stronger after you put it on the stain, but the smell will go away entirely once it's dry. You'll need to keep kitty away from it until it dries completely. I usually put a fan on the spot to help it dry faster. It's available at Petsmart.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No its not to late, when my mail gets here, i will cash my check and i will post a pic of the stuff i bought(Mail gets here about 3pm eastern)

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I use simple solution- cat urine/spray/poop/vomit it is fantastic. It has a lovely smell to it, and it has worked both when vienna had her litter of kittens and they had accidents, and when we've had a tom come in and spray, its great stuff.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
would any of these products work on furniture? Stephen decided to make both messes on her blanket about a year ago b/c she was mad I was gone. Conveniently, the blanket was on the couch. I've sprayed with dog/cat urine treatment, tried carpet deoderizer, etc. But I swear sometimes when I'm sitting there, I still catch a wiff.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
If you clean it with an enzyme cleaner, you should be able to get rid of the odor entirely. You might have to spray very deeply, which is not good for the furniture, but what choice do we have?

There is a product called Nilodor, which is suppoesed to erase odors completely. It's available at drugstores. You can also get it online in Petsmart, I believe, in a spray canister.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im back from my shopping spree and heres what i got..

CatNip was $3.99

The Spray was $11.99 (Didnt expect it to be that much)

i just sprayed the stuff in his fav spots, lets hope it works

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Keep in mind that you must saturate the spot entirely. I mean, use enough to get down into the padding of the carpet. And remember that it could take up to two weeks for it to dry entirely. Nature's Miracle recommended putting perforated tin foil over the spot where you use the product. Simple Solution might be the same way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts