Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never heard of this until I came to this forum. Can someone explain what the process is and the average cost to expect?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I live in the uk
the process is a rather fat looking needle, my cats were done in the back of the neck, but different vets do it in different places.
The price was £14, if you didnt register with the microchip company they charged you if you changed details, if you payed a one off £10 you can change it whenever with some other bonus's which ive forgotten now ;)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Injection is rather simple and not real painful. They just take a needle and insert it under the skin at the neck, in between the shoulder blades. It doesn't take to long, but I'm not sure of cost. Each vet has different methods, costs and microchipping program.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I posted an answer here that answers your question on average cost. Then there's a second cost to register your chip on a national database, either the AKC (HomeAgain) or PetTrac (AVID).

Microchip Question

As to process, yeah, what everyone said. Just a big needle, a chip about the size of a rice grain is inserted between the shoulder blades, just like they're getting vaccinated. You can find out the exact info at these sites.

Home Again website
AVID website

These are the only 2 widely used in the US at the moment, your vet is going to have one or the other. Most shelters and vets have universal readers, but check anyway what's more popular in your aread. Vets' costs vary widely, but the method and program is exactly the same, you're not getting anything special the more expensive the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts