Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I haven't been around in a while, but not to worry, my kitty and I are doing pretty well. :)
Just as a quick intro for those who don't know our background, I found Booth alone in the woods when he was about 4 weeks old, a little over a year and a half ago. He was literally skin and bone but made a pretty quick turn around once he started getting fed. He was a very laid back kitten and is now a very laid back cat. He does have a severe sensitivity to fish and fish products but other than that and a pretty bad (but now fully taken care of) worm infestation, he's been very healthy all along.
He's fully indoor, as well.

What I'm posting about is that he does this coughing thing where it sounds like he's trying to expel a hairball but nothing comes up. It's not regular, since I found him, he does this cough maybe once a month but for the last few days it's been happening about once everyday (yesterday, twice). It only lasts for under a minute but it's disconcerting since he generally ends up laying on the ground, coughing really hard.
He doesn't wheeze, per say. His breathing is audible if I pick him up and hold him upside down but normally I can't hear him breath.
He also pants when he plays for more than five-ten minutes. I always have him stop at that point but sometimes he chases one of his little balls around and causes himself to pant and I can't really control that...

I've read online things that make this coughing thing sound scarily similar to asthma and it worries me...

He needs his yearly check up soon so I'm waiting to get money in the bank (should be within the next few weeks), then I'm going to take him in and mention this but I figured I'd ask here and maybe get some advice if any is to be had.

Does this sound like asthma, or something else more worrisome? Or something not worrisome at all?

He's had all his tests for FIV and all that and they came back negative, but they were also done when he was 5 weeks old and I've heard that that can skew results if it's done too young...

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
It sounds like asthma, but it also could be a heart issue. As well untreated asthma can lead to all sorts of nasty things like enlarged hearts & lung damage. It could also be an allergy. I think a vet visit is in order. Sooner rather than later because waiting could mean a much more expensive vet bill. I would expect kitty will likely need xrays with this visit though.

This time of year is notorious for asthma though - for humans too! - as furnaces turn on & windows start to close.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I don't know about asthma, but coughing and panting may be indicative of a cardiac problem. It would probably be a good idea for you to save up for a cardiac evaluation by a veterinary cardiologist, as well - sooner better than later.

Laurie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts