Cat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6-year-old cat, Buzzy, has been coughing once or twice a day for a few weeks. Just one or two coughs; not the hunching over attack type coughing. I took him to the vet, and they suggested an antihistamine. (Note: his lymph nodes were a bit swollen and he had a little eye discharge, but his temperature was normal, and while his breathing was a bit fast, the vet said it seemed normal for the situation...oh and he'd GAINED a pound. Silly hungry boy.)

Anyway, the antihistamine has not helped, and I have noticed that occasionally he'll breathe a wee bit fast (55-60 breaths per minute) and then he'll soon go back to 28ish breaths per minute. So, I'm planning to take him back in for a chest x-ray and blood draw to see if he's got asthma or an infection.

I've just been freaking out lately about this because, well, he's my baby. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar with their cats? Does it sound like asthma to you? If you have an asthmatic cat, how difficult is it to manage? Buzzy is NOT a good pill taker.

Just trying to calm down until I can get the tests done. I just want him to be healthy for forever.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts