Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stray I took in has been in my home for just over 2 weeks now. I still have Bootsy in his safe room with the door closed while I am gone or sleeping. I have one baby gate up in the door. I have been letting the cats view each other briefly on either side of the baby gate for the past week and Bootsy growls and hisses everytime he sees my other cats. He has jumped the gate a few times when I have gone to open it and check on him. I don't learn my lesson very well and Bootsy usually ends up finding my other 2 cats very quickly and ends up growling and hissing and running back to his room. I had been switching the cats out for an hour or so for the past week as well so Bootsy got a feel for the rest of the apartment and my resident cats could check out his safe space. I decided yesterday to get some Feliway and plugged it into this safe room. A few hours later my 2 cats were in the other bedroom and I opened the door to Booty's room and he jumped out and headed towards the bedroom with my cats. He got to the doorway and stopped quickly and all 3 cats just froze and stared at each other. Bootsy growled but instead of running he went into the room and parked himself up against the wall and laid down in the Turkey pose. He growled for a bit and then got up and headed back to his room. Then a few hours later I opened his door and one of my resident cats (Willis) came up to the door and they both touched noses for a bit with no hissing. Bootsy turned around and moved a few feet back from the door and just sat and watched Willis for the first time with no hissing or growling. I decided to close up the door after a couple of minutes to not push it too much and hopefully leave things on a positive note. The same thing happened this morning. Nose touch and sitting close by with no hissing or growling. I think we are making progress! I dont't know if the Feliway could be working that fast or if it is just coincidence. FYI - neither of my resident cats have growled at the new cat. Bootsy is the one who has been growling and hissing.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations on how to proceed from here? Sorry for the wordiness. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Wow! It does sound like the Feliway is taking the edge off of the process for your threesome! Very cool! Keep us posted....

:) Fran

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I guess it could be the Feliway. I might buy another one to have in the living room. Just wish they weren't so expensive. Keep your fingers crossed for us! I will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Well, that's what Feliway is supposed to do! I used it when I introduced Holly into the house for about 4 months (Maggie was very resistant to accepting Holly, she wasn't aggressive, just growled and ran away when Holly got in her personal space). Anyway, I definitely noticed a difference when the Feliway needed to be changed, not a marked as what you're seeing, but could definitely tell the tank was empty.

I got really good prices on Amazon. It's so much cheaper than places like Petsmart (like less than half), that you might find it's still cheaper even if you pay for 2 day shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow. I agree, it sounds like that product worked! I've never tried it before personally, but I'm definitely going to look into it now. Thanks for the story, and good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts