Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well tonight I put maus on the scale and she weighs 12.40 pounds. She is almost a year old. I am starting to wonder if she is a big breed cat. she is not free fed she gets about a cup of food a day.

Also: keep the fat cat jokes to yourself

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Sorry, we went through this on the other thread. Your cat cannot be identified as any "breed"...she is a domestic short hair. And not making a fat joke, but from her photos she is overweight, not a large boned cat. A cup of food per day is a lot of food. Not sure what brand food you're feeding, but switching to a high protein wet food will help her shed some of that weight. If you want diet advice you can ask for it in Health & Nutrition and get more details about brands and amounts to feed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so your saying my cat is fat except. this cat here is 17 pounds. the vet says hes completely healthy

·
Registered
412 Posts
But we're talking about your cat who is definitely overweight. Although it might be upsetting to realize, it's important. And a cup is an awful lot of food for a kitty. Your measurement suggests to me a dry food. See the advice given in the other thread about that.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
My ex husband weighed 240 lbs. That worked for him because he was 6'4.... I'm only 5' tall and if I weighed the same it's safe to say I would be overweight.....

See where I'm going?

That's still a lot of dry food.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea she was on healthy food and i followed what the vet said and she was still putting on about a pound a month

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You can't tell anything by the picture you posted. Many cats and dogs look heavier when seen from the front as they are sitting.
You need to look at the shape of the cat from directly overhead. Here is a link to a chart with the body shapes and what they mean.
Evaluating your cat's weight - The Purina Body Condition System

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont remember what shes eating its in a clear box thing so i cant tell you that and honestly you cant tell anything from the pictures because one shes laying down in all the pictures that i just posted

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Oh wow! she is a little big., but very cute! My Misa is 12 Ibs( Might be 11 now) and she looks thin as ever. Just a little flap probably from having kittens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
even that she looks fat she could be all muscle for all we know when i poke her its not like flubber

1 - 20 of 26 Posts