Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday morning, our one cat Ichi wasn't really acting out of sorts but just seemed a tad bit more subdued than usual. Usually she's chatting up a storm in the morning trying to get us up, but she was somewhat quiet that morning. I didn't have any concerns as she was eating fine. I got home that evening and she came to the door when I opened it but didn’t do her usual immediate meowing and rubbing on my leg. She seemed to be dry heaving every once in a while, but was running after her bottlecap (which she loves to chase and bring back to us!) and not hiding. I put her food down and she took a sniff and started dry heaving again. She would just do it once and then be fine, but I could hear some gurgling in her meow and in her lungs. She wouldn’t eat anything I put down. Then later my husband came home and tried a new flavor of food and she ate that fine. She laid on the bed with us that night seeming subdued and not chatting. Yesterday morning she seemed about the same, but was eating fine. Then when I came home yesterday she dry heaved/coughed a few times and then almost had a convulsion with the coughing and up came one single blade of grass. Ever since that came up she’s been back to her old self. Could that one blade have been stuck in her throat or something?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
It does sound like it could happen with one blade of grass. Were you able to identify what type of grass it was? I would just keep an eye on her to make sure she is still doing OK.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it did - it does sound like it got stuck. Thank goodness she was able to cough it up!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, ever since that blade of grass came up, she's been right as rain! No more hacking or gurgling.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Every time any cat of mine has eaten grass there is a upchuck event following. I think they do it on purpose! ;) No, I don't know *what* purpose, but one must be careful it doesn't happen on the carpet or furniture! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts