Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you ever marry someone if they truly hated cats?

I honestly don't think I could! :grin: That is definitely a requirement for any future boyfriend/husband I ever get! If they really hated cats, I have no idea how it would work out, us living together and all.

Anyway, I don't understand how its possible to not like cats. I bet they would see the light if they lived with one of the adorable furballs! :crazy

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I was just dating a great guy. He was sweet, a whole lot of fun, and all around fantastic. We got along great....except he didn't like my boys.

He hated that they milled around the floor while we ate, was completely grossed out they jumped on the counter (they never wandered into a food preparation area, just sat on the bar portion and watched), and they sleep in bed. He didn't like spending the night because I refused to lock them out of the bedroom.

So no more dates with him. He's a great guy but if he can't learn to love my boys there's not point in further dating.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Ditto for me, too! My life is pretty much all about them now, lol. Maybe it's because I'm still a new cat owner? I do find them very fascinating...much more than dogs! So yeah, if they truly didn't like cats, I probably wouldn't like them much. We'd probably have not much to say to each other, either.

But cats are now the #1(popular) pets in the U.S.! So it's looking pretty hopeful, in my book! :thumb

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
My hubby and I before we got married, knew it was a package deal, me, my cats and dog or he could go find someone else!!
That is one of the points that there was no negotiating about! ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nope if your not a cat AND dog person I'm mot wasting my time. I do a lot of things with my dogs,I spend a lot on my dogs,I spoil my cats and spend tons of time with them. If I'm not working,or at school I'm doing something with Tue dogs or having a lazy day at home with Casey.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
i have the same feelings except in the kinda opposite way

any woman who didn't like animals was not for me

especially cats

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Exactly! Equal opportunity!
Good for you Bobbycos!

·
Registered
356 Posts
No. Anyone who says they hate any kind of animal is not the one for me. Luckily my husband is one of the biggest cat fans I know. Besides saying you hate X is a little ignorant imo. Or at least very close-minded so these people would have a very hard time dealing with me!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Definitely no, but...

1. I also don't know what's worse, someone who hates cats, or someone who seems completely indifferent to animals. Those people sort of scare me. :eek:

2. I know people (like my mother) who thought they hated cats, but when they started to spend time with them, found them pretty fascinating. Actually, it's pretty fascinating to watch a supposed cat hater find cats fascinating. :D

So I'd be willing to give a guy who said he didn't like cats a shot, but if he never warmed up to them, I think he'd have to go. I don't think it's that superficial either - there's a lack of connection there that would be important to me.

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
Silly question. Why would you even DATE a cat hater?

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I think that 95% of people who hate cats don't understand cats. For that 5% that is unwilling to learn or even compromise then there is no hope of a continued relationship.

Hubby and I didn't have cats when we met, didn't even discuss them while dating but after we'd been married a couple years a neighborhood cat adopted us. We were clueless about cats but she was sweet and won our hearts collectively and started us on our journey of adopting older cats. Each has been a delight and I can't imagine life without them now.

With any one thing, if it's important to you it must be important to them for the relationship to succeed.
Except dancing.
I used to dance before getting married. Hubby hates dancing so I gave it up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My wife didnt like the idea of getting the cat first but now she love her very much she treat her as her own baby she talk to her a lot as if she will understand everything, most of the time she sleeps with us in our room but my wife is still not in favour to get another cat, but i know as time will pass she will accept, i am also thinking to breed my cat.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
No way. An absolute deal breaker. My husband wasn't a cat hater, but he didn't really care for cats, until Beep came along. She instantly took to him over the rest of us, and has made him into the biggest cat lover I have ever met. If he sees a stray or a feral in a parking lot, he has to try to see if it will come to him, or give it some food at least.

Not only would I not be in a relationship with a guy who was not a cat person, I am ashamed to admit that when I meet anyone who does not like cats, I secretly tell myself "well, I could never be friends with this person". It is just so telling to me when you meet someone who doesn't like cats, it says so much about what kind of person they are. They tend to be those kind of people who would never let their kid have a pet because God forbid they get paw prints on the coffee table or cat hair on the couch, and their house is immaculate, and they seem to value "things" more than anything. I have no use for those kind of people.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Never - my husband had cats all his life and loves them as I do, which was really important to me.

I really think the biggest issue with someone who hates cats, is the reason they usually do. And for most guys frankly it comes down to the fact that cats do not 'obey' like dogs do and don't fawn all over people unless they choose to - and a person who thinks like that is a person I don't have any use for.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts