Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need the collective help from the Forum. I took in a stray male cat (approx. 5 years old) 6 months ago and I am in a difficult position, we love the new addition but can't break him of a bad habit—always goes up on the counter and eats our food. Also, begs like crazy—even tough he has a very regimented feeding schedule and not including any human food.

We figure he must have been fed a lot of human food at his previous home. Please, any advice to stop this behavior would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
Welcome!

You're probably not going to like the answer, but....

Keep the food off the counter. :grin:

Many of us have given up that fight. The best thing to do is keep your counters as uninteresting as possible, and wipe them off before you use them to kill the germs. This was simply a losing battle for me and the Calibratz.

Some people use sssssscat, but if you have a lot of counter space, you'll have to buy more than one.

When he starts begging for food, you could distract him by playing with him, a good rousing game of chasing laser lights may tire him out.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Yarp, if there's something yummy on the counter MowMow is gonna eat it. It's a good thing, he's trained me to be MUCH cleaner in the kitchen. I know that I can't leave anything out or even dishes in the sink and since I don't know if he's been on the counter I have to spray it down with cleaner before I start cooking. super clean kitchen all the time! :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Alice has me cleaning up EVERYWHERE! i cant leave my socks on the ground as she will tear them up, I can't leave plastic wrappers on my desk, she gets those too. :(

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I agree, keeping them off the counters is a losing battle and they'll just do it when you're not around. Our counter has actually become feeding station and the treat-giving place, and Murphy spends a lot of time up there. It's really not that bad . . . just keep it clean and there's really no problem.

One thing I've found with Murphy is that when he's up on the counter and expecting treats, I can distract him completely by leaning on the counter and being affectionate with him. Then his tail twitches, he paces back and forth and headbutts me, and the treats are forgotten about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts