Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Tiger at the end of March and so far it's been good. I still miss my old cat because we had him for 19 years, and sometimes I get a little frustrated because Tiger doesn't like some of the things I loved about Fluffer, mostly sleeping up by my head (He likes to sleep down by my feet) and sitting on my chest and kneading me (He'll stay up but not for long.) But I know that he's a different cat and I have to respect he's his own individual.

But there are a couple of things that I'd like to do something about, the first is for seemingly no reason Tiger will just seem to get super hyper, like he just drank 50 cups of coffee or something and start running around my apartment. He jumps up walls and even climbed up my curtains and hung there for about 15 seconds once. I've read that thing can be normal behavior for a young cat (Tiger is a little over 3 so I dunno if that qualifies as still young or not) but he's already knocked suff over including his food and water dish from his hyperness and I'd like to do something about it if possible.

The other thing is I'll come home after being out or at work and I'll be walking down the hallway to my apartment and hear him meowing, I'm guessing he does it because he's been left alone. I've never had this problem with any of my cats before so I don't know how to handle it. I've tried leaving the window open so he has that for entertainment and I've even turned on the stereo while I'm out and left it on a setting loud enough where he could hear it but not so loud it'd bother the neighbors but that seems to have mixed results if any.

He does have a few toys as well, I have a mouse on a bouncy string with a little bell on it hanging in a doorway so he always has access to it, and I play with it with him often so he knows it's there.

And finally, and this is not so much a problem as I'm looking for ideas, but Summer is coming and I'd like to be able to open my door to my deck and let him go out on it to look around and get some sun. Tiger is my first indoor cat and I'd like to give him some outside life. But I want to make it safe for him, so I want to cover the railings with something that will keep him from being able to get through it and fall 5 floors to his death. The only thing I can think of is chicken wire but that seems too sharp and obviously I don't want to hurt him. So, any ideas for a cat safe, see through material would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Some cats have hyper bursts for a great deal of their life. Blaze, 15, still has this behavior from time to time, he'll get a mad look and run around like an idiot for a few minutes. I don't know how your cat is knocking over his food and water dishes though. How does this happen? The best I can suggest is either finding dishes that are more spill proof, such as rubber bottomed or with a larger base, or heavier. As for everything else... don't have it in the cats reach if it's valuable. There isn't anything that can be done, short of medicating the cat, and I don't think any vet would prescribing something for a behavior that's so common.

The other thing is I'll come home after being out or at work and I'll be walking down the hallway to my apartment and hear him meowing.
I bet the meowing only happens as you're walking down the hall. He know it's you coming home and is calling to you. Blaze did this with us as well when he was left home alone, I doubt he did it with anyone else - he could hear our car driving in, and could hear our voices. I've heard various cats meowing at apartment doors when they hear you coming even though you're not going in that apartment, often it's just been their mistake, thinking it's their owner and it isn't, as other times I've walked by the same doors and they haven't made any noise. It isn't likely that the cat is meowing all day so I wouldn't be concerned. If it was a dog there may be a problem but with a cat I wouldn't worry.

And finally, and this is not so much a problem as I'm looking for ideas, but Summer is coming and I'd like to be able to open my door to my deck and let him go out on it to look around and get some sun.
My aunt's cat fell three stories with no harm, my cat fell from a first floor apartment as well. Never again, they learned their lesson. It's like a rite of passage. But in all seriousness I understand your concern, my mother's cat fell to its death from the 8th floor. I don't have any advise next to placing netting along your balcony, and I imagine that isn't allowed. I think a lot of cats can safely reach the ground without being killed, they aren't like humans. Cats can fall twenty stories and live.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think most cats enjoy running around. My former cat Sophie was a curtain climber. She did grow out of it, although she never did quit clawing my LR curtains. She had zooming bouts her whole life (maybe not the last 6 months- She was a month shy of 18.

Harli and Lily run around, mosty chasing each other. Sometimes I chase them a little too. Sometimes water gets splashed out of their water dish. But I think that is more from Harli playing "hockey" with some of the toys in the kitchen.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ah, the crazies. My neighbours honestly must think I have a herd of 4 year old boys in my house with the noise the cats make when they have the crazies, it's so strange to see them going from normal to insane! Then when they're done running manically for a half hour they're back to being normal again. They usually get it just before bed time!

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
But there are a couple of things that I'd like to do something about, the first is for seemingly no reason Tiger will just seem to get super hyper, like he just drank 50 cups of coffee or something and start running around my apartment.
Aka Rocketbutt mode :lol:. Very normal behavior for cats...and not only in kittenhood. Maggie is 14 and still does it. It's not something you can prevent and I consider it part of their charm. Do some additional kitty proofing and sit back and enjoy it.

The other thing is I'll come home after being out or at work and I'll be walking down the hallway to my apartment and hear him meowing,
He may only do it when it's you, he may do it when other people come down the hall...but I doubt he's meowing all day. Your neighbors will be sure to let you know if he is. Cats have a great internal clock and "know" when it's time for you to come home, so he may be responding to that. Again this is not something you can change.

And finally, and this is not so much a problem as I'm looking for ideas, but Summer is coming and I'd like to be able to open my door to my deck and let him go out on it to look around and get some sun.
Deer netting will do the job of stopping him from going between the rails. But if he's able to walk the top railing it gets more complicated.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think everyone else gave you great suggestions, but you know maybe, Tiger is just a more active cat. Some are very outgoing and hyper, and playful. He may do better with someone who stays at home or has another cat for him to play with. I am not trying to convince you to rehome your cat, but this may be a very REAL consideration if you feel things do not improve within the next 3 months or so. By 3 years of age, he should be over his kitten stage. However, if Tiger has only been with you a short time as you stated, he may not have fully settled in. When I first got my Egypt, she was 2 and appeared to have boundless energy...all the time!

She would never walk, but was always running, knocking over the garbage can, intimidating the other cat, etc. Eventually, she settled into the routine and our lifestyle. She does LOVE to play a lot, but since I have 3 cats, there is always someone to wrestle with, and get that extra energy out. As far as the curtains, I would change those out for vertical blinds. They are much more flexible for you and your kitty's needs, and kitty can't shred them or hang off of them.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
But there are a couple of things that I'd like to do something about, the first is for seemingly no reason Tiger will just seem to get super hyper, like he just drank 50 cups of coffee or something and start running around my apartment.
When Murphy does that, my husband and I just look at each other and say, "Guess he had somewhere he had to be." Consider it part of the kitty entertainment. :)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
.... start running around my apartment..... and I'd like to do something about it if possible.
He's just having fun. Think about the area a feral/wild cat would roam and compare it to living in a small apartment. Wouldn't that be kind of like you having to live in a room the size of your bathroom? He's just releasing excess energy. :) I agree with everyone else, enjoy him entertaining you. If he's running the same path all the time (which is what my guy does) just move breakable stuff out of his way and laugh at his antics. For some added fun for him, put an open box (flaps up) right in the path so he has to leap it to do his laps.

.... down the hallway to my apartment and hear him meowing, I'm guessing he does it because he's been left alone.
I also agree that he's probably not crying all day. My neighbors tell me that MowMow cries when I leave but that he stops after a bit. He's ALWAYS meowing when I come up the last flight of stairs to my apartment(he can probably hear me puffing and wheezing ;) ). He's just greeting you and telling you he missed you. Enjoy the affection and greet him with love and cuddles.

So, any ideas for a cat safe, see through material would be appreciated.
This is what I have Amazon.com: Jobe's Tree Netting, 14' x 14' Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden, it's wide enough to reach all the way across the balcony threaded in and out of the metal rails and wide enough that I can anchor it to the top railing and the bottom of the desk so it's secure. They are both black so you can't see them from the ground and he can look through it and watch the world go by.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1.) My cat still does the hyper zoomie time. I love it! Teach him the things you AREN'T ok with (like curtain hanging), and grab a toy and join in! I grab a stick w/ a string and mouse tied to it and I lead him all over the place... jump on the sofa, jump down, jump on chair, jump down...eventually he tires out (about 5 minutes).

2.) The meowing thing - omgosh, Buzzy did this INSANELY when we lived alone. I swear I felt like wringing his neck sometimes b/c I'd come home and he'd just "Mrow mrow mrow mrow mrow mrow" like he hadn't had human contact in years. I never figured out how to solve it - it mostly stopped when I moved in with my boyfriend, a roommate, and a second cat. He's still ok now that I just live w/ my boyfriend and my dog. Some cats really NEED human/animal interaction I guess. I did learn, however, that he was NOT doing this when I wasn't around. He'd only start the meowing when he knew I could hear him...so neighbors were never bothered.

Oh, and cats have an excellent sense of time. So he probably knows about when you're coming home and begins meowing then.

3.) Porch - if you are 5 stories up, he will probably NOT try to jump. We were on the 3rd floor and I let him out on our porch without doing anything to block off the railing. He never got close... my roommate's cat got close once... when my mom's big dog came to visit and scared the bejeezus outta her. But that was different.

I would try supervising and see if the cat shows any signs he might try. Mine usually just found a spot to lay and bask in the sun.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the hyper thing as my old girl is very dignified and wouldn't be caught dead running anywhere <sigh> all cats are different and it seems I got one of the less active angels lolol

One thing I was going to suggest however is not to have the same toys out all the time. change them out on a daily basis before leaving for work. You don't have to have expensive toys to entertain a cat. There are tons and tons of websites on ideas and instructions on how to make homemade toys. This might help him get rid of extra build up energy as well as boredom. If you trade the toys out, he will forget he owned a certain toy and when you reintroduce it, all the new toy fun begins!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.