Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I want a second cat for my baby Envy as a companion, well really for me hehe. Ive put in an adoption application for a siamese mix but haven't heard back about it yet, I know the cat currently has ringworm so it will be a while before its safe to bring him home if I am approved, but that leads to my first question. Id like to visit this kitty to see if we have that bond I knew I had immediatly with Envy but im concerned about bringing the ringworm back to her, is just thouroughly washing my hands/clothes good enough or is it just too risky? Also, how long does the adoption approval process normally take?

Also...I don't currently have a job, my fiance works on contract, meaning its feast or famine most of the time. We do however have an emergency credit card with a $5000 limit just in case Envy gets sick or some other emergency comes up. Is it a bad idea to get a second cat financially? We can provide should unexpected vet fees arise, and we always have enough for the day to day expenses.

Heaven forbid my fiance and I break up (I can't imagine it happening, we both felt like weve known each other our whole lives ever since we met) but if we do my parents would take me and the cats in.

I realise pets are a 20+ year long commitment, and I cannot imagine my life without Envy, it just wouldn't seem real.

Any advice from people who have gone through the adoption process before would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure I can really help out. We "adopted" our two when they were 3 to 4 weeks old. Actually my gf Kathy "adopted" them and broke my will of NOT wanting to have cats. She got me to agree to just one, and then Jedi mind tricked me into getting 2. As always, she was soooo right.

The reason I don't know about the adoption process is that we had to call animal control to come and take the mama cat and the 2 remaining kittens that we couldn't find homes for ourselves. The mama cat was a stray and she had her kittens in our backyard. Kathy did all the socializing and spent lots of time with the mama and all the kittens. She named them and knew all of their personalities. We were allowed to keep our 2 guys, and the neighbor took one of the kittens. Aside from the vet exam and usual stuff, there were no "adoption fees" or paperwork to fill out.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Since ringworm is contagious and because you would probably not be satisfied with only petting the cat, I wouldn't touch it without rubber gloves. Even then, you could get the ringworm also and pass it along to people and animals.

I like to pick up a cat to find out if it's excessively nervous, or just to give it a love! Sometimes, under these circumstances, a cat would be more nervous than usual. I would wait until the ringworm is gone, unless you want only to look at the cat and talk to the people who have been caring for it. Good luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Payge,

Ditto on what Jeanie has said. You really don't want a lot of contact with the kitty, for the time being.

As far as the adoption process, I suppose that depends on the individual shelter or rescue that you are dealing with. When I found Angel, via an online search, it was a Sunday evening. I immediately sent an e-mail to the lady that runs the rescue, to tell her that I was interested in Angel. She had an online adoption application and I filled that out and sent it, too. Tuesday morning, she was on the phone with me, to let me know where I could go see Angel.

Talk about a leap of faith - I drove 240 miles, ONE WAY, to see Angel for the first time. I have no idea of what I would have done had she hissed at me and ran... :roll: I knew before I sent the first e-mail that I was supposed to be hers. (She must have known I was typing about her, she just came in to jump up on my desk for her evening nap.)

I hope everything goes well for you. Don't hesitate to give the shelter or rescue a call. If they see that you are really interested, that might help get the ball rolling.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
To be honest, Payge, speaking as a vet, I believe that you need to be financially prepared to deal with any problems that might arise. I was constantly frustrated by clients who would bring in a sick cat, but couldn't afford any tests, let alone treatment. It's like fighting with your hands tied behind your back!

I know many clients who have spent thousands of dollars to diagnose and treat illness in their cats. It's not right to assume the responsibility for another cat unless you are ready to go all the way. And it's not fair to you to have to go deep into debt to finance surgery or other treatment.

Ringworm is a good example, even though it doesn't sound that bad. The safest and most effective meds cost about $150 a week, and you have to treat for 8-10 weeks--or more, plus several vet visits and a series of fungal cultures to make sure it's gone. The other common drug, griseofulvin, is cheaper, but has a high risk of dangerous side effects, including anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia (i.e., bone marrow failure), depression, ataxia, hepatotoxicity (i.e., liver failure), and dermatitis/photosensitivity.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have pet insurance, it covers a lot of sick issues(cancer, poisoning, broken bones etc), the only thing it doesn't cover is regular checkups, plus we have a credit card we have saved for emergencies with a $5000 limit which we can "lock" at any time so they don't charge us interest should we ever have to use it. Our cat is our child, and even if we had to go deep into debt, we would spend any amount of money to keep our child healthy.

I really like the woman fostering the cat, we have now exchanged many emails and she has been telling me about all her foster kitties.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its only $20 a month, thats one pizza being delivered. Since we are both on the zone diet and cant have pizza anyways its no sacrafice LOL!

People get hurt/sick/injured all the time, and if they cant afford the treatment they still get it, pets don't have that luxery, its up to us to make sure they do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Scheherazade had ringworm when I first got her. It took me over a YEAR to get rid of it in my house. They say that it is also airborne so it sort of "floats around" . :shock:

Anyway. I wouldn't take the chance. It is awful to get rid of, even wearing gloves and changing clothes and washing with the stuff the vet gave me after EVERYTIME I touched her for a month, I still got it! Two of the vet tech's got it from her too! We finally got rid of it. (I think it's cause I moved.....) :?

Edited to add: I would however to through it all again for her... :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes ive decided to just wait until the new kitty is all better to visit him, its not worth the risk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts