Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got a new puppy, and in an effort to keep her OUT of the box I want to get a covered litter pan, but they all need special filters, that are pretty expensive. I found a carbon filter at walmart, that you stick onto the litter box or near it, would this work for a covered box too if I stuck it to the top of the box?

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Let us know how it works. I'm a firm believer that you really don't need to filters if you scoop regularly. In a pinch you could buy bulk charcoal (from an aquarium shop) and put some in a pantyhose or other tight mesh bag and use that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, those carbon things are really for your benefit more than anything. All our boxes have come with them, and I honestly never change them. I actually just covered up the slot for our outside one because I didn't want rain getting in.

If the top entry one is too small (I have read they often are), consider making your own out of a storage tub. You could even have just a regular open box inside of a Rubbermaid container if you got a big enough storage container, and that might further reduce litter tracking.

·
Registered
255 Posts
All our boxes have come with them, and I honestly never change them.

I also never changed the filter, no need to. I have always liked the covered litter boxes, it gives our kitties some privacy also.

candycane 011.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the top entry one is too small (I have read they often are), consider making your own out of a storage tub. You could even have just a regular open box inside of a Rubbermaid container if you got a big enough storage container, and that might further reduce litter tracking.
That's what I decided once I saw the lowest price of the top entry ones. Like NOPE I'll cut a hole in a storage tub thank you!
But I may have found an even easier solution. And better for kitty too! They make "pet gates" that are small enough for a kitty to slip through, but too small for a doggie, and too tall for them to jump it. I figure it can be her litterbox area, as well as a safe haven for kitty when the dogs get too crazy.

Amazon.com: Carlson Extra Tall Metal Expandable Pet Gate: Pet Supplies

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's what I decided once I saw the lowest price of the top entry ones. Like NOPE I'll cut a hole in a storage tub thank you!
But I may have found an even easier solution. And better for kitty too! They make "pet gates" that are small enough for a kitty to slip through, but too small for a doggie, and too tall for them to jump it. I figure it can be her litterbox area, as well as a safe haven for kitty when the dogs get too crazy.

Amazon.com: Carlson Extra Tall Metal Expandable Pet Gate: Pet Supplies

That might be perfect for you! For me, my dogs are all smaller than the cat, so mostly I just put things up higher. Sometimes covered boxes smell more because the smell is trapped (hence why they put those carbon things), so if you can just have an open box behind a gate you might be better off in the smell department. If you clean it regularly though you won't have problems either way.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That might be perfect for you! For me, my dogs are all smaller than the cat, so mostly I just put things up higher. Sometimes covered boxes smell more because the smell is trapped (hence why they put those carbon things), so if you can just have an open box behind a gate you might be better off in the smell department. If you clean it regularly though you won't have problems either way.
Yeah kitty's box gets cleaned at the very least every other day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts