Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide if MowMOw is just cranky with the kitten and taking a few steps back with dealing with him being here or if he's not feeling well.

When SO was here the first two weeks of October MowMow was pretty cranky. Growled or hissed when I'd cuddle him and short tempered with everyone. Not himself. After SO left he was back to normal. We've had no real problems and even had that little short grooming bit one morning...then this weekend it all went to heck.

All day yesterday MowMow was growly and cranky with the kitten and I if I touched him when the kitten was ANYWHERE in the room he'd hiss or growl at me. I finally locked the kitten up to give us some alone time and he seemed better. Affectionate and snuzzly. It's gotten increasingly worse today. One moment he'll want attention and cuddling and a split second later he's growling or hissing at me for touching him. He storms off if I try and a bit later he comes back for more love but when I touch him he grouches and storms off.

There is pee and poo in the litterboxes and there's a decent amount so I don't THINK it's just the kittens. MowMow's eating fine and since I put a lot of water in his food I know he's getting water.

Tonight I locked the kitten up and tried to give him some warmed milk (a *VERY* rare treat) he snubbed it and when I picked him up to put him on his tower to drink it he cried when I picked him up. I pulled out the wand toy and while he didn't run around and chase it he did roll around on the ground with it and was interested. I gave him some nip and he rolled around on it and got a little silly but then went back to meatloafing on the ground next to me.

So....sick cat who hurts to be touched or just a grumpy old ******* who's decided the kitten has definitely worn out it's welcome? Keep in mind they aren't left alone together. I still lock the kitten up during the day.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
My girls have off days for no reason. I say give it another day.

Then send MowMow to Becky.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
If he was acting like you described, with no new kitty, would you chalk it up to having an off day?

It's so hard to know when you throw other stuff into the mix, weather, other cats, off their food, etc. :patback

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before Book....... his off days weren't like this. He would occasionally go off his food if he got sick of it but he'd never growl/hiss at me.

If it's just him being pissy about Book that's ok. He'll get over it eventually but I don't want to chalk it up to a 'behavioral problem' if he's in pain and needs help.

That's why I'm not sure because he's eating and using the box.... that all seems normal... the only symptom seems to be extreme crankiness. :p

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Everything else aside, ignoring a special treat like warmed milk and crying when picked up would have me on my way to the vet.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appointment @ 3 today. He was sweet and snuggly as usual this morning and ate his breakfast. Checked the box and there was a large clump of pee (too big for the kitten, imo) I locked up the kitten today even though I'm home so I could monitor the litterbox and his behavior.

I was at my desk and he jumped up wanting love and when I handled his midsection he complained. Less than 10 minutes later he joined me on the couch and DIDN'T complain when I palpated him.

I should have named him Sybil!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll never understand cats. I dug out his collar and tags (in case he makes the great escape while out of the apartment) and I changed the blanket in the carrier (they like to lay in it and it gets hairy) and he's all kinds of excited.

Jumping in and out of the carrier, chasing the kitten around and chirping like crazy....... he certainly doesn't look or act sick... I just don't know what to do. Money is tight and i'd hate to waste it on him being Mr Fussypants but I certainly would rather spend it than him be sickly... freaking cats.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Poor Mow. Its not an easy choice. What is Mow like at the vet. If he's not consistantly showing you pain, will be show the vet where he hurts? If he isn't likely to show any signs there, then it may be a wasted visit. Especially since he's eating and drinking and having normal eliminations, no vomiting? Active and playful. It possible he could be sore from being pounced by one shepherd book. Muscle strain can take several days to completely heal. And if it is a strain, there really isn't anything the vet can do for him anyway. Tough call.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He hates the vet and I doubt he'll exhibit any pain to her. I'm not particularly fond of this woman either but her counterpart only works two days a week now (older gentleman) and I took today off.

He DID throw up twice on Saturday, very small amounts of a clear liquid but no vomiting since then. Definitely not as active as he usually is but that might be my fault. I've been coddling him. MowMow doesn't often play by himself and if I'm laying around he'll lay around with me. I've been trying to keep him quiet.

He's also grooming himself now for the first time in the past few days.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I left @ 2:30 (which got us to the vet by 2:40) so I'm home already :)

I own a very very healthy cat. I did ask her to pull blood and make sure his numbers were good but she says she doesn't think there's a thing wrong with him. I was holding him and trying to describe his behavior and the vet tech tried to take him out of my arms....then they got a firsthand look at the Angry Red Cat. He hissed and growled and threatened and when they insisted he gave the vet a good solid thrashing. Then out came the welding gloves.

Once I talked them into letting me hold him it was fine. He was palpated and prodded and poked and she says he's in amazingly good health. Even his ears are clear which is amazing since he keeps sneaking into the kittens room and stealing bites of kibble before I catch him.

She said she's call me when the blood results are in and sent me home with a Feliway plug in and a suggestion to try and find him a place to go where the kitten can't get too (doesn't seem possible, but I'll try).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts