Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morse is going to take another 8 hour car trip - we're moving. He hates the car, meows incessantly the entire time until he makes himself hoarse. Last time he also peed and pooped in the back of the kennel I have for him. On the way home, I gave him some (vet prescribed) Valium which took the edge off slightly and he did not eliminate in the kennel.

His kennel is actually not mine, its my roommate's kennel from when her dog was a puppy. I'm going to leave it with her, and get Morse one of his own. Does anyone have a soft sided crate? I'm worried he may scratch it up, but I think he wants to see out of the crate - be able to look at me.

I also was thinking either a smaller crate than the one he's currently using (so there wouldn't be room to eliminate), or a larger one that I could put a small litter box in. The problem with the larger crate is that it would have to ride in the bed of my truck instead of in the cab with me. The bed has a shell so I wouldn't be worried about him getting out, but its not heated like the inside of the car, and its probably much louder.

Anyone have experience or knowledge they'd like to pass along? Thanks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm sure all cats are different, but I discovered my cats freak out if they can see through the sides of their carriers. Maybe watching all the "world" moving scares them too much...so whenever I take them to the vet, I cover the sides of the carrier with a sheet, so they can only see me through the door, and not outside the car. They just lay down and take a nap now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would DEFINITELY vote against a larger crate in the truck bed. I don't think it matters if it's larger. No doubt it would also be louder, the elements would be harsher, he won't be able to see/smell you to know you're there with him, and worst of all you wouldn't be able to keep an eye on him so you would have NO idea if he was having any problems - a smaller crate/carrier in the truck is by far the best option.

I actually moved with my cat about two years ago. We had a 12 hour drive (give or take) and we did it in a single, very long day. Because it was such a long drive we gave Sassy the option of coming out of her kennel for some of it (we only did this because I was able to sit in the back seat with her and ensure she did not bother/distract the driver, I don't think I'd recommend doing this if you are driving alone). She spent maybe an hour of the drive exploring the car, but she would always ask to go back into her kennel. It was a fairly small kennel, actually in my opinion too small, but she seemed to feel much more secure in there.

Also, I don't think there's any need to have a litter box physically IN the crate with your cat. We got a small travel sized litter box that fit perfectly under the seat. Sassy explored it but refused to use it while the car was moving. After about six hours we stopped to eat, and while we were parked I put her in the litter box - she was extremely happy to relieve herself then, poor thing. During this break in driving I offered her some food and water, but she wasn't at all interested. I think it would have been a lot easier had I thought to offer her canned food, but she was still on kibble at the time.

So what I'd recommend when you're moving is: smaller kennel IN the truck, a bowl and some wet food or a container for dry food and a container for water, and a litter box (can be smaller than his usual one so it fits in the car more easily, just make sure it's big enough for him to be comfortable using it). If you're the only one in the car keep him in his kennel when you're driving, for safety. Just stop at some point, halfway or a little more to your destination, and give him the option of using the litter box and maybe eating a little.

Good luck on your move :smile:

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I have some crate type made by pet taxi(I think) they are a little longer for thier size than the standard crate, gives enough room for a small litter box inside with still room for the cat to not have to lay in the litter,, it will fit on the pasenger seat of my ranger.. have a coulpe of sandwich size ziplock baggies for a quick clean-up and you should be set

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was going to tell you about ours, but after reading about your truck situation I'm now thinking it's not such a great idea. One of our cats rode in the back of my wifes PT Cruiser from Southeast Missouri to Idaho in this one:

LINK

Awesome soft sided crate that folds up and stores nicely.

There was enough room for a small litter box and a blanket to curl up in. We covered a portion of it, but left one side open so she could see the dog (her best buddy) during the ride. After her initial vocal session from being in the car calmed after a couple hours everything went extremely smooth, and it was a 3 day trip with 10+ hours per day in the car. The cars back seats were removed to make space.

I dunno though, I wouldn't put my cats in the back of a truck. They are sensitive enough about riding in a small carrier in the car as it is. Putting them out with all of the noise would traumatize the.... you know what outta mine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hard sided carriers are safer if you have an accident.

8 hours is not a long time really, some of mine fly several times a year and are in their crates around that amount of time. I don't feed them the morning of the flight, and change the litter tray which makes them jump in and use it before they leave the house.

Leave the carry box out around the house so he's used to it before your trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts