Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people feed their multipal cats in crates? How big are they? Pictures would be great.
I have a 5 month old Savannah on a raw diet and an 11 year old Himalayan on kibble. Trying to keep the Savannah from the kibble. I know how bad kibble it but mocha can't and won't eat anything else. He has problems picking anything else up with his flat face. I've given him little pieces of chicken and he just licks it. Can't pick it up. You should see the mess he makes around his bowl of kibble because he has a hard time picking those up.
The kibble is like kitty crack for my Savannah. He won't eat his raw if the kibble is down. I have been feeding in separate rooms but than the savannah what's to know where the other cat it.
Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Milky is also a Himalayan and it's the same for him. He makes a huge mess around his bowl every time he eats, which is why I have to wipe it every time after he eats. I've given him shredded chicken before which he ate very well and loved. I also hand feed him a tiny bit of apple when I'm eating one. Maybe you can try cutting the chicken into kibble-size pieces. Maybe that would help him eat it?

I've stopped feeding him in his crate since I let him have free roam of our apartment. Now he only goes in to use the litter box and on the odd ocassion when he's super naughty and needs a time out I lock him inside for a few minutes until he is calm again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milky is also a Himalayan and it's the same for him. He makes a huge mess around his bowl every time he eats, which is why I have to wipe it every time after he eats. I've given him shredded chicken before which he ate very well and loved. I also hand feed him a tiny bit of apple when I'm eating one. Maybe you can try cutting the chicken into kibble-size pieces. Maybe that would help him eat it?

I've stopped feeding him in his crate since I let him have free roam of our apartment. Now he only goes in to use the litter box and on the odd ocassion when he's super naughty and needs a time out I lock him inside for a few minutes until he is calm again.

He is unable to eat shredded cheese. Won't eat anything from my hand. Tried cutting food to kibble size and he just licks it. I've tried different plates and bowls.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Leelu eats Orijen and grain free canned. Sure she makes a bit of a mess sometimes but she can pick it up fine, even the shredded Weruva. It does take her longer to eat but I use a higher sided stainless steel bowl(a small-med size dog bowl) rather than a shallow one (which most recommend for flat faces) so that when she is trying to get pieces it doesn't fall out. She has her 3 bowls on a plastic pet food mat I bought at the dollar store and it helps too. Water is a different story! She will get her whole chin to chest wet it seems just drinking!
As long as your himmie able to lick wet food then they are able to eat wet, it's just a slower process. I would pick up whatever kibble doesn't get eaten at one sitting so that the savannah isn't tempted and just put it down again next mealtime. Leelu learned pretty quick to eat faster when she realized food wasn't going to be there forever.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I don't own a himmie so I have no idea about their eating habits.

I did used to feed Miu in a crate. I had the door shut and she would mind her own business eating, then if she's finished and I'm tied up, she'll mill around or pee or sit in the bed to wait for me. It helped to keep Cap'n Jack who's very food driven from getting at her food cuz she's a slow eater. They eat in the same room.

I have since removed the crate cuz the original toilet training purpose was achieved. I'm having some success at still feeding them in the same room. I'm currently training Jack to leave Miu alone after he's done. I never leave them unattended during this time. Guess it's easier for me cuz Jack is easily scared. If he makes his way over to Miu I'll just give him a stern NO and he stops or retreats to sit and wait at a distance. If that's not enough I'll walk over closer and he'll retreat.

When you tried different rooms, how exactly did you do it? Did you still crate the Savannah? You can try crating the Savannah in one room and leaving him there until the Himmie finishes the meal in another room and out of sight. Have a toy and a bed in the crate and leave him alone. Don't re-enter the room til the Himmie is done. If you do, the Savannah would probably get excited thinking you're going to let him out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mocha (hImmie) would be put in the bathroom with his food. Simba (savannah) eats in the kitchen. The whole feeding situation it hard. Simba eats half his food and than goes and plays for 15-20 min and come back and finishes it. I've tried picking it up when he first leaves it and not feeding him again until next feeding but he does the same thing. After 2 days of half feedings I feel bad and leave it down for him when he leaves it. He also figures out mocha isn't around and goes and searches him out and cries at the bathroom door. I figured with crate feeding they will both be in the same room and it will force simba to stay and finish his food.

Even if I tried wet food again simba would want to eat it so I would still need to feed separately

·
Registered
388 Posts
You mean like holding his mouth open and shoving it in like you would a pill?
No.... that would make him afraid of taking food from you.

What I mean is holding a piece of food to his mouth (usually Milky likes to smell it first) then when he realises that it's food, he'll try to eat it from your fingers. If he's unable to lick it into his mouth, just gently pop it on his tongue and let him do the rest.

Otherwise I place a piece in my palm (keep fingers together) and let him nuzzle his face into your palm and eat it that way. Sometimes it falls back out so I keep my hand just under his chin until I know he has bitten the piece of food.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well then putting Mocha in the crate in full view of Simba in the same room may help. He can see him but won't be able to disturb him. I used a dog kennel actually not a crate. It could fit a litterbox and a bed with see through metal bars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess crate was the wrong word to use.
This morning I cut up some chicken to the size of kibble and he just licked it. Didn't eat any of it.
Even though simba was eating the same thing he wanted to eat mocha's. I will try putting mocha in something in plain view of simba and see what happens.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey if the crate may work try it! As for the half meals, it took Leelu a few days of half meals to realize I meant business. They are smart enough not to starve themselves. As a kitten he should be getting 3-4 meals a day anyway,maybe you are feeding too much in one sitting?
If he just doesn't like eating without your himmie there, then feed them at separate times and just leave him in a room with your himmie until he's done, then feed himmie?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts