Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kitty has a peeing problem. I am not asking for advice about the peeing issues. We are to the choice of giving up said cat or last ditch efforts like caging said cat constantly so she can always be supervised. Cat would be in a big dog kennel when we are gone and unless she was on someones lap/eating/ being played with.

Has anyone done this? Is this worse than giving cat away to a no kill shelter?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I would feel sorry for the cat being kept locked up all the time -I don't think a cat would be very happy with that.. but I'm fairly new to cats so maybe someone else will have some opinions for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've been crating Miu overnight for the past month or so. My reason is for her 'poop outside the box' problem. She took to it like it was nothing. I crate her from 11:30pm to about 6:45am. She poops once a day and I find the poop there in the morning so she comes out after breakfast.

It's not sorry at all. I feed all her in there and she sleeps in there overnight. She knows the routine and happily goes into the bed by herself to settle down after I feed her bedtime snack shortly before bed. It's her safe place and a place she knows is completely hers.

Whenever I feed her, I close the door if it's not overnight, I open the door when she's done. She's a slow eater so closing the door gives her a sense of security. The other cat Jack and Rocky the dog won't be able to get at her meal so she can take her time calmly eating.

Just get the biggest kennel possible so you can fit a litterbox and bed in there comfortably. I use a 48" dog kennel.

Here's a pic of her lounging inside. She's taking a look at the other cat and she's not even attempting to bolt for the open door, just relaxing. The bed is inside her carrier to keep it clean and the cardboard is there to prevent spray accidents from the litterbox.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
When Doran had peeing issues we did something similar. When we weren't home and at night the cats 'go to bed' in the kitty room. They get their dinner there so they are very happy to go to bed.

When we were home I would put his harness on and attach him to myself, or his cat tree, with a 4 foot leash. We did that for about a month, then I gave him 8 feet of leash for another 2 months. When we (finally) got to 1 month with no 'issues' then he got to drag the leash and be very carefully supervised. All told it took about 4 months to completely deal with the issue, but he only had a few accidents as long as we were paying close attention and now he's fine to be alone in the house again.

I see no issue with crating her as a temporary measure, as long as you have a plan to work towards her being free in the house again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So when you were just letting the cat be on the leash with you and you said you had some accidents....did the cat pee right in front of you, or were you distracted / stepped away for 5 minutes, and came back to an accident?

I am not sure if you have more than one cat, how did other cats react to this? Was this leash long enough so cat could use his box in the room?

We have a kitty room right now, but there seems to be a negative association with this room. THis cat hates being alone unforunately. So, i think if i try this I will need a big cage and a different room for the cat to get rid of this assocation. Do you have a covered or uncovered box?

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I think it's a good idea. Sometimes it works and retrains the cat. If a cat has peeing issues the odds of it being adopted are about zero so you are probably its only hope. I wish I'd tried the crate idea when my cat was younger but it was never mentioned to us, but we still kept him. Today, we keep him in the laundry room (fairly large room with a small attached bathroom) where there is no carpet or anything soft on the floor or to jump on except his bedding - because of that there's no litterbox issues. We visit him in there and we take him out on supervised visited in other areas of the house, I think it's far better than giving him up, he's 15 and scared to death of strangers and new places so I don't have any doubts that what we're doing is for the best.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've used a crate for fosters, they really are ok with it IF they have exercise time and get the amount of attention they want. I also use a crate as kitty jail. Tuffy is a DERP and gets carried away. Biting the other cats in the butt or me in the leg is not play and then he goes to kitty jail until he is calmer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts