Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my first posts... I have lurked for a while. :)

I have a question.. My mom recently got a cat a few months ago that my sister had picked up as a kitten at her university dorm. It was outside for a good week in the snow against the stairs before my sister knew she had to take him in...

He was probablly 2-3 months old at this point and very malnurished. My mother decided to adopt him, and took him to the vet for his shots (as an indoor cat) and we had him fixed when he was old enough.

We all love visiting this little rascal, but he is crazy!! He bolts for the door as soon as someone goes near it to get outside... it's almost impossible to keep him inside. Well, mom has decided not to fight anymore and has started to let him out... he comes and goes now (staying in at night), and really only stays out around the house for an hour or so before wanting to go back in.

Now, here's the thing... I love cats, and have grown up with them my whole life... I also work with them at my local SPCA. I have told my mom that little Wilson (or Willy for short) needs to get back into the vet and be treated as an outdoor cat, and possibly get more shots that he would not have recieved as a potential indoor cat. Is this wrong? Is he totally fine as he is now? I am just going with the experience of my cat (who is an indoor cat).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some people would say no, but I would take the little one for more shots, because he is definitely open to more risks. Let us know how you go on. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
i say he should go back to the vet to get his leukemia shots and rabies shots. indoor cats don't need these shots as their percentage of being contaminated with these diseases are practically 0.

·
Registered
50 Posts
AWWW! SO CUTE!!!!!!

I'd say yes to the shots. our cat (aged 5 years) had no record of any kind of outdoor shots when we got her so we took her to the vets to have them done. Its worth the money if only for the extra peace of mind :D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I would get the shots just in case he sneaks out, but if you allow him to go out, the likelihood is he won't live long. I don't mean to be unkind; it's just a fact. :( I hope you'll train him to stay inside. If he's not tearing the house apart, he'll be happy inside.

I'm sorry to disagree with your first post. I really am glad you're with us. I know your heart would break if he got run over or killed by a dog, but the odds are against him outside. I hope you'll reconsider. He's a beautiful cat!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeanie said:
I would get the shots just in case he sneaks out, but if you allow him to go out, the likelihood is he won't live long. I don't mean to be unkind; it's just a fact. :( I hope you'll train him to stay inside. If he's not tearing the house apart, he'll be happy inside.

I'm sorry to disagree with your first post. I really am glad you're with us. I know your heart would break if he got run over or killed by a dog, but the odds are against him outside. I hope you'll reconsider. He's a beautiful cat!
I definantly agree with you. I don't live with my mom and I have been trying to get her to reconsider letting him go outside. He was tearing up the house and seemed to be quite restless all the time, and ALWAYS bolting for the front door. I would still keep him indoors if it were me, but mom seems to think he's a lot happier coming and going... and is definantly more pleasant to have in the house even if he's only outside for half an hour.

Anyways, don't think that it's my decision! :) I have a 2 year old cat who's inside only, and my girlfriend has a cat that's inside only as well. I definantly know the difference in lifespan between indoor and outdoor cats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts