Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered this food; Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Cats, Active Chicken and Rice Formula

Amazon.com: Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Cats, Active Chicken and Rice Formula, 6 Pound Bag: Kitchen & Dining

here are more nutrition and ingredient details;

Dry Cat Food for Active Cats | Diamond Pet Foods

I have tried over a dozen different brands of chicken & rice kibble, and wondered what others though about this rarely discussed Diamond, compared to other rice based kibbles you may know. please don't turn this thread into another dry vs wet vs raw discussion - thanks. Google'ing around I read that Diamond had some pet food recalls issues in 2007 and 2009, but that should be straightened out by now.

FYI: here is some "food for thought" to anyone out there still free feeding their pet kibble;

America’s Portly Pet Problem CBS Miami

·
Registered
991 Posts
Well it could certainly be worse - as far as dry kibble goes it doesn't look too bad other than having grain in it. Since I have cats who go on a hunger strike if I cut out kibble for more than a couple of days I totally understand the need to have some kibble in their diet. Personally, I will only feed mine grain free kibbles, but some cats won't touch the 'better' dry foods. I gave some of my girls' Evo to my sister-in-law to try with her cat who eats Purina, and she said her cat ate slowly so she could eat just the Purina kibbles and completely avoid the Evo!

My two threw up more on kibble with grain in it, so I love the Evo because it's higher in calories and I can give them less but they still get the calories they need. But again, you have to strike a balance between your preference and your cat's!

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
The absence of corn, wheat, soy, by-products and glutens is good. This food is better than something like Iams but not on par with many of the foods we talk about here (Wellness, EVO, Natural Balance etc.).

Ground rice is a low grade rice product, basically a by-product of the rice milling process, so it's low on nutrition. Powdered cellulose is a useless filler...well it does provide fiber, but no nutritional value. And may literally be saw dust or pulverized cardboard. Sodium Bisulfate is actually Menadione Sodium Bisulfate (synthetic vitamin K) which is a controversial ingredient that has been linked to many illnesses.

So...better than average, but not great. On a 5 star scale I'd give it 3.5

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doodle, thanks for taking a hard look at the ingredients list, but the issues you present could also be spun in a positive way. the fact that it's ground rice instead of whole rice plus the cellulose must mean that a higher percentage of this food's protein is actually derived from animal and fish, not from plant matter which a cat cannot benefit from. the Bisulfates you mention as controversial, are intentionally added to mildly increase urine acidity, thus mitigating potential infection and crystals from developing in an otherwise healthy cat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts