Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've noticed about my cats, and I'm sure it's true for cats in general: When they're running around the house playing, they hold their bodies at normal height. But on the rare occasions when they're running away out of fear, they get low to the ground. I'm not even sure how they run like that. Anyone know the reason for this? Is this so they can hide more easily? Is this to try to dodge an incoming predator? Is this so the predator can't see them as well?

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
When Gigi's in trouble for going after one of the twins, she runs away as low to the ground as she can get. I'm sure it's a survivor skill - so I can't catch her and put her outside with the ferals.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Is this so they can hide more easily? Is this to try to dodge an incoming predator? Is this so the predator can't see them as well?

I think you're thoughts are a very good explanation. It's certainly something distinctive with cats in general....noticed even on "Animal Planet" the wild cats will do the same thing.... It's usually associated with fear, but can also be a stalking movement after prey. By being lower to the ground they can't be seen as well. It's just a cat thing I guess. Can't off hand think of other animals that do this, can you?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I did think of another instance of crouching running, and that is Border Collies when they're herding...the crouching and hard stare spook the sheep into moving I'm guessing because the dog's action looks predatory.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It's so funny when some strays, usually the new ones to the colony, do this low-to-the-ground approaching to the food bowls, because they don't know that everyone else has already eaten or there's so much food that they couldn't care less, and they also think that maybe I'll get mad because they're stealing MY food. Prince does this too when Princess scolds him for coming into her bedroom. He'll leave, but low to the ground to be less prominently seen by her.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've seen my cat run low to the ground when he sees something outside that he wants to hunt. He will run from one window to another window in another area of the house and slink up to the window sill . It's amazing how quiet they move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts