Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Yung here. Just wanted to give you an outlet to voice your questions/concerns/feedback regarding the subject of crowd funding. This came about because one of our VENDORS is going this route to launch his business product.

If you're not familiar with what crowdfunding is, I took the liberty to copy this definition straight from WIKIPEDIA:

Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising monetary contributions from a large number of people, typically via the internet.[1] One financial expert describes it as “large groups of people combining their economic power to support an organization, company or project they believe in.” ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding

We have always been cautious about fundraising here on Catforum simply because we have no way of vetting if the cause is legit in every single case.

We're not here to try to convince you that crowdfunding is different than fundraising but just so you know, we firmly believe it is. Regardless if a vendor comes here to advertise their product/service and said product/service isn't actually in production, our team vets ALL potential vendors BEFORE they are approved to come and advertise on Catforum.

If a vendor wants to come here and present an idea to the community and is going the crowdfunding route, the decision is still up to YOU as a member here on Catforum whether or not to support it. You are free to ask questions of the vendor (regardless if they are crowdfunding or not).

We aren't purposely out there looking for vendors who are crowdfunding. If they come our way, we will do our due diligence and present to you the vendor.

Looking forward to any feedback or questions you have about CROWDFUNDING.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding#cite_note-2

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
My feedback is as follows:

1. Vendors, or any other members, should not be allowed to come into the forum with the express intent of raising funds. (My personal opinion is that it would be stupid to do so, as they are paying a significant amount to be a vendor, it is highly unlikely they'd raise enough financial support to offset the vendor fees.)

2. However, vendors who are developing a cat-related product and want to get the input of cat-knowledgeable people, this is a great place. Or if they want to spread the visibility of their product. Or if they want to take pre-sales for their product. Or if they want to ask CF members to donate cat pics/vids for marketing the product. I see no problem with any of this.

3. Also, if during the course of marketing their product, they mention there is an associated kickstarter fund, I don't have a problem with this either, as long as there is no active blatant pitch for fund contributors.

·
Administrator
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Again, this thread is about CROWDFUNDING and NOT about any particular vendor. If you have a beef with a vendor, just as you would with any other user, report it to myself or any of the mods.

·
Administrator
579 Posts
Thank you for your feedback on this.

My feedback is as follows:

1. Vendors, or any other members, should not be allowed to come into the forum with the express intent of raising funds. (My personal opinion is that it would be stupid to do so, as they are paying a significant amount to be a vendor, it is highly unlikely they'd raise enough financial support to offset the vendor fees.)

2. However, vendors who are developing a cat-related product and want to get the input of cat-knowledgeable people, this is a great place. Or if they want to spread the visibility of their product. Or if they want to take pre-sales for their product. Or if they want to ask CF members to donate cat pics/vids for marketing the product. I see no problem with any of this.

3. Also, if during the course of marketing their product, they mention there is an associated kickstarter fund, I don't have a problem with this either, as long as there is no active blatant pitch for fund contributors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts