Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago we adopted a cute Maine Coon kitten from a local breeder in Colorado. She is the most adorable thing ever and we love her to death!

We had kept her in a separate room for two weeks, she had some occasionsl sneezes and a little bit of a goopy nose from it, which our breeder assured us as normal due to stress of moving into a new home. It didn't seem to affect her at all. We also noticed that her little meow was kind of scratchy, like she had a sore throat, so we assumed that was just the way her meow sounded.

After graduating from "quarantine", we have let her out to mingle with my other two other cats, Cruncher and Kimba. Every once in a while they would hiss and growl out of curiosity, but nothing outside of the usual first introduction reactions.

Anyways, after a few days I noticed Kimba doing a little bit of sneezing and had a couple coughs, but she has seemed to recovered from that after a couple of days.

On the other hand, a few days after meeting the new kitten, Cruncher had a goopy eye one night that seemed to get better after a day or so, but about a week later she has completely lost her voice. I noticed that she would growl and sometimes hiss and meow at the new kitten, but I don't think it was enough to warrant her voice going away completely! She can still hiss, but anything that requires a growl or meow doesn't quite make it out more than a funny rumble.

Cruncher has been like this for about 3 days now. I'm assuming it's a reaction of stress from the new kitten and possibly some sort of upper respiratory infection that could have been brought over by her. It just seemed strange that it was so delayed, about 2 weeks after the new kitten has come out to roam with the big girls.

I have been feeding them a pinch of crushed l-lysine with their wetfood every day, and I heard that is supposed to help with infections like that... But I am wondering if I should be considering taking Cruncher in to the vet if her voice does not come back by the end of the week. She seems to be her normal self, just without the meow. Any thoughts?

Out of sheer curiosity I was wondering what the l-Lysine powder tasted like since I crushed up some pills to make it. I tasted a bit off my finger and it was pretty gross! It's really a strong bitter taste, I'm glad my cat's don't mind that I mix it into their wetfood! :catmilk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today she let out a little tiny squeak when I fed her in the morning. She is sleeping a lot, so maybe she's trying to recover from her citty cold.

I guess I will start writing updates here, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I doubt I can be of much help, since neither of my girls has ever had a respiratory infection...although Muffs does have a very squeaky meow. She sounds like a cat with laryngitis, but that's just her voice and she's always been that way.

As for Cruncher, I'd keep an eye on her. If she shows any other signs of ill health (eating less, sleeping a lot more, etc.) then I'd at least call the vet to see whether it would be worth taking her in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep an eye on her. She seems to be doing alright, I'm keeing her separate from the other kitties for most of the day so maybe that will help her get better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts