Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm Chuck. My wife and I are pretty devastated right now. We got our kitty "Kitty" 3 months ago. She slept in between us on our bed. Full of energy and always purring like a jet engine. She ate like a horse. When she played she was a miniature panther - athletic and so quick. She used to fall asleep in my lap with her head in my hand! The fact is she is my best friend. My wife loves her like a child.

2 weeks ago we got her rabies vac. and another one not sure of. The vet estimated that she was 5-6 y/o. Over the last week she showed loss of appetite, but her belly seemed to get a little bigger. We took her to the vet and we are waiting on test results. Best case scenario is we have "a little more time with her before she passes". She is accumulating fluid in her stomach area. The doctor thinks she felt a swollen lymph node. She said that indicated a "very serious" condition. She said the vacs's are not the cause of this.

She was so scared on the way to the vet. When the test results come back the vet says they can do an ultra-sound and then stick a needle in her to "aspirate the mass". That sounds horrible. I don't want her last days to be full of fear and unpleasantness. Any advice? Similar experiences?

At this point I am not looking for causes - I am just concentrating on making her time she has left the best it can be. We are just trying to make her at ease and comfortable. I wish we could have joined here under better circumstances.

If you have a healthy pet I wish you an extra fun time with them today... Sorry about the gigantic first post...

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Welcome,

I'm so sorry it's under these circumstances.

I hope it turns out to be not so serious for your little girl, she sounds precious and you haven't had nearly enough time with her. I'm glad she's surrounded by love and a family who will be there for her, no matter what.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx so much for reads and replies. It means so so much trust me. Thank you! I have tomorrow off so I am staying up all night and reading to her - she loves to be read to. I talked with the vet. some more and picked up some pain meds. She looks fairly spaced out but she is managing a weak little purr and she seems comfortable. She was shifting around trying to get pressure off of her stomach earlier and we just couldn't stand it so we asked for the meds. She seems so weak and she won't eat. 2 weeks ago... I am repeating myself.

Supposedly we will have test results in 10-12 hours from now. I can't believe this is happening... Looks like I am not staying up all night - we carried her into our bedroom and she is conked out. I am going to bed. I will see if I am allowed to start another thread outside of introductions tomorrow. Please think positive thoughts about our treasured girl. Take care folks.

Chuck

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm so sorry about Kitty, it breaks my heart because it hits close to home.

My cat BJ (RIP) was ten years old when he passed in 2004. He suddenly stopped eating and his belly grew bigger and bigger because it filled with fluid. We rushed him to the vet and they drained a litre of fluid from his belly. The vet told us he had a rare form of cancer and that he was suffering. She said we could spend thousands of dollars and send him to one of the nearby experimental vet schools or put him to sleep. We ultimately put him to sleep because he was in so much pain and we didn't want to put him through experiments that may not have worked.

I truly hope that this is not what is happening to your kitty. I am going to pray for Kitty and I hope you keep us posted.

·
Registered
716 Posts
So sorry to hear that. I lost my kitty to lymphoma 2 days before this past Christmas. Putting him down was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. Try to stay positive but trust your gut. Kitty will let you know if she has had enough. Just know that you have given her everything she ever wanted and he couldn’t have asked for a better home. My kitty had an ultrasound and fine-needle aspiration as well, and honestly, my last great memory with him was when we got home from that appointment. The sedative they gave him actually gave him his appetite back, and for that night he was his old self again. He ate a whole can of his favorite food and all the treats he wanted. Then I took him outside on the porch(not something I would normally allow) and we played in the leaves. I loved that cat so much and it just seemed so unfair to him that he got sick. He was only about 7 or 8 years old, and I only had him for about 5 years. But, I am grateful for the time that I spent with him, and he changed my life. The only thing that eases my pain is knowing that he was on “death row” when I adopted him from the shelter. So as hard as this whole situation was for me to deal with, I would do it again in a heartbeat because I know I gave him the life that he deserved, even if it was shorter than it should have been. Like I said, stay positive. Anything is possible, but whatever happens you have Kitty's best intentions in mind and I know you will make the right decision for her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts