Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nugget is a one year old neutered male who we adopted 5 days ago. He's adapted very well, decamped himself from our bedroom, bonded with myself and my husband. He's very vocal about everything, which can be a little annoying, but it's OK, until bedtime.

Around 4 am he starts howling and will not stop until the sun is up. We've tried calling out to him, going and getting him and putting him on the bed, playing for a bit to calm him down, curtains down, curtains up, door closed with the cat in the bedroom, door closed with the cat OUT of the bedroom...

I know he's calling out for attention and since he's new, I want to give it to him and not lock him out. His foster mom warned us that he's afraid of the dark, so we bought a nightlight, but it doesn't seem to help. She suggested a blanket fresh out of the laundry. That worked great! At 11 when I went to bed, not at 4 when he cries.

He has a million toys, some he'll play with independently, most he won't. He's terrified of other cats, so getting him a buddy isn't in the cards. He came fully vetted, but I do have an appointment with mine on the 5th for him meet the vet, get a check up, and this is something I'll bring up. He has food, water, a clean litter box.

Should I start ignoring him or keep trying to reassure him?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
4 am is not night for a cat, it's morning and their most hyper time of the day, "rise and shine" time. You have to get up and give him a great hunting session with wand toys, especially Da Bird, or a stroll in the garden. Then at 9 am when he goes back to sleep, you sleep again too. Or ignore him and try to go back to sleep in spite of the racket, as I do. :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i'm afraid i'll be no help on this, but thought i'd empathize/sympathize. i agree 4am is just naturally cats' AWAKE and active time. our Angel is certainly awake at that time herself. i'm a total sucker/softy and can not say no to her either. she doesn't talk, but she does walk around on the bed and shift positions a lot between 2am-5:30 am, so this wakes me up constantly. and if i happen to open my eyes and she sees me notice her, she'll immediately come climb up onto my chest and i can't resist massaging her and scratching her head until the next time she wants to shift positions and lay down between me and my hubby. then i get a brief and restless nap in until she climbs up onto my chest again. i'm so sleep deprived all the time, but like i've heard other people say, "I'll sleep when I'm dead." :eek:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Lately I've been going to bed so late (and they too, to take advantage I'm home and awake), that my kitties have been skipping their morning shift and getting up a lot later. It's not healthy for them, though. They have to go to bed at 9 pm and sleep until 4 or 5 am.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been having this problem with my boyfriend's cat, Midnight. Ever since we brought him here three-four weeks ago he's been very vocal, mostly at night. He slinks downstairs and meows then runs to the window and meows and so on. It doesn't sound like a sad whine necessarily, but it does worry both of us.

My boyfriend says that he acted like this when he lived at his father's house but is it normal for him to meow like this? I don't know.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel your pain! Boyfriend and I generally try to sleep through the noise but sometimes it's hard. Give Nugget a kiss for me!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ours do it too. If our door is shut they meow at the door, if it's open they get on the bed and nudge us awake. My husband is not pleased. I just scratch their heads and go back to sleep and they'll usually just lay there unless they insist on being fed. Usually it's one at a time, not both. This morning it was my son they woke up. He was in there talking to them at 5am because they were on the top bunk with him. I personally don't feel like getting up and playing with them at 4 am is a good idea, if you have to get up at 5:45 and get ready for work. It's a habit I don't want to encourage. I keep stuff for them to play with out in the living room and sometimes I can hear them thumping around in there and the crinkle sound of their play tunnel. That's much better than them laying on my head at 4am. LOL. Oh and I always keep the blinds up on a front window so they can look out any time they want without messing with the blinds. They also like to get on the kitchen windowsill. I feel like they can occupy themselves at 4 am. But there's 2 of them.

I'm sorry, I guess I don't really have any advice. I'd say it's normal. I remember the cat we grew up with walking around meowing and waking everybody up in the wee hours of the morning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, Mrs. Lovette's kisses must have worked wonders, or he knows I'm talking bad about him on the internet. He let me sleep until 6:30 with minimal crying this morning. (He did wake me up by knocking over his littlest cat tunnel, but we'll call that playing "quietly" by himself and let it go.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mrs. Lovette's kisses must have worked wonders, or he knows I'm talking bad about him on the internet. He let me sleep until 6:30 with minimal crying this morning.
Good news! My kitty seems to be quieter now, too. I think it's because Jason chained off the closet door so that the dog can't get in there so now he has a place to be alone if he wants to. Whatever floats his boat!

:luv

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
oh, great. make me jealous. you guys are getting sleep while i'm still walking around like a zombie. oh well. guess i just have to deal. or else just take a LOT more afternoon naps. :dis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.