Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took Minerva for her spay surgery, at first I tried to reprogram the appointment because two days ago she entered her third heat in a row (she is 9 months old) and I was scared but after talking to the vet, we agreed that it was the best thing for her since she would enter again in heat and we would have to reprogram again.
I live in Lima, Peru, it is a clinic specializing in feline medicine and I honestly believe that it is the best I can afford here.
The surgery was a success, it was at 10 am but they asked me to pick her up at 5 pm so that she was fully awake.
When I got home I locked myself in the room with her, I put her litter box there, her dishes, dim lights, and minimal noise so as not to disturb her.

Apparently she was still with the effect of the anesthesia, she was active, nervous, she tried to flee, so I had to choose to corner her in bed with a lot of pillows and restrict her from walking alone because she was not balanced and fell a couple of times (she was sitting on the floor and just went sideways and fell, the second time she tried to run away and did a kind of back flip and fell on her back) because of that I had to put her in her kennel until she fell asleep and after a while I brought her plate to her and she ate very hungry, she lay there playing with me until she became very restless and tried to run away again, she kept crying asking me to open the door for her, I did it and helped her so that she didn't fall while I walked and went straight to where his litterbox usually is, so I decided to return it to that room and instantly she urinate, I loaded it when she finished so that the post-surgical suit did not get wet, and she became very intense and started to dig in the litter box . I held her so she wouldn't go sideways and while defecating she made the most chilling meow I had ever heard, a guttural meow that anyone would think was killing her, I had never heard her cry like that even during her jealousy and at the end from meowing she gagged but didn't vomit.

My husband and I were perplexed and almost in shock we took her gently out of the litter box once more, and this time she became crazier, she contorted in every possible way trying to escape and it was very difficult to contain her, we opted to put her in the kennel and take her back to bed, and inside the kennel, she kept rolling and contorting herself like a cat in heat, but not roughly and desperately as they usually look but rather aggressive. I tried to calm her down and she hisses, and she tried to bite me several times, this left me even more shocked because she is the most submissive cat I know, she had never tried to bite us, vets, strangers, anyone ... I was very scared and called the vet who told me that she is scared, stressed, and the whole situation and the fact of wearing a recovery suit make her feel like this, that the meow could have been from using the recovery suit. But then I wouldn't have meowed when urinating too
? I am very stressed, the meow left me with the hairs on end.
Right now she is sleeping in the kennel, it is semi-open so he can go out if he wants but I don't know if he should leave it at his will around the room, I am afraid that she will fall and bleed since I understand that it is more frequent in sterilized cats during the heal. I also don't want to lock her up in the kennel or overwhelm her by chasing her with pillows all over the room so that she doesn't fall. I feel that what I'm doing is stressing her out more. I need advice ASAP is the first time that I have a cat and I feel like a paranoid mother herself, but seriously that meow was horrible, horrible.

By the way, they told me not to give her medicine today, but to start it tomorrow, since they already gave her medicine today.
They prescribed omeprazole and metronidazole if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
My suggestion is that you should contact your vet and tell him/her how she is reacting. The loud meow while pooping definitely sounds like she was a lot of pain. Sometimes it takes a few days before medication starts to work. Perhaps the vet could prescribe a sedative or something to calm Minerva. I can understand how stressed you are about Minerva's distress as well as your own. I wish you both all the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts