Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any use it? I usually use a clumping clay that I NEED to scoop everyday, sometimes twice a day. If I don't scoop daily, it gets smelly. The supermarket was out when I last went to buy it so I thought I'd give the crystals a try. More expensive, yes but they claim to last one month. I figured I may be able to get away with using it for two weeks, with the two cats and just hoped that the cats would be okay with the sudden change.

Turns out they are fine with the changeover, the litter is so much less messy than the clumping one and all I have to do is scoop the poops everyday and mix it up to spread around the crystals with the pee on/in them.. Tomorrow will be two weeks and there is still NO SMELL. It may be a tiny bit more expensive than what I was using but it's so much nicer to use and well worth the extra few dollars a week.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been using various forms of this for about 10 yrs now. It's so easy, but it does need to be scooped & stirred daily. Definitely great for the smell though and a couple of my friends have converted to it after realizing how easy it is to use!

The beads are awful, but the broken up chunk pieces of it are fantastic. I also don't find it all over my home like I did with most of the others I tried - including clumping.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, I wonder if it would be cost effective with 6 cats?
Hmmm, not too sure about that one. I was going to do a full changeover today (being two weeks since starting it) but as it's not smelly, and the cats are still happy to go in it, I think I might let it go a little longer and see how often I will actually need to change it. We have 2 litter trays so maybe it will last the whole month. If it does, it will actually work out being almost the same price per month as the cheap clumping one I used to use.

I've been using various forms of this for about 10 yrs now. It's so easy, but it does need to be scooped & stirred daily. Definitely great for the smell though and a couple of my friends have converted to it after realizing how easy it is to use!

The beads are awful, but the broken up chunk pieces of it are fantastic. I also don't find it all over my home like I did with most of the others I tried - including clumping.
How often do you find you need to empty the trays to clean and replace for new litter?

We're still getting some crystals kicked out of the tray in the bathroom but they can just be swept up easily. The clumping stuff used to get wet and stick to the tiles, it was gross.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Tried the crystals, my boy didn't mind them, but my girl hated them and started to do her poops outside the box. Same thing happened with the Swheat Scoop and the Feline Pine (and it tracked a lot too). So it was back to the clumping litter for me. I use one that has added baking soda and with two cats I don't find it smells. They share one litter box (their preference), I scoop 2x/day, and change litter completely every 3 wks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Right now since they're sharing a litter box I change it about once a week. This is also because the litter box is in my ensuite bathroom and so it's constantly in front of me! I probably don't need to change it quite that often. Also since they're kittens I'm trying to make sure they are well solidified into good litter behaviours. Right now through the day they're confined to my bedroom/bathroom while I'm not home (Apple is a bit insane and so this is for safety reason). Once they're older and roaming our home all the time they'll have a second shared box and I suspect then I'll be much more able to cut back the changing.

Previously though when I just had one kitty using it I could easily let it go up to a month with daily scooping/stirring.

Even with changing it weekly though my costs are still only about $20/month. When I was changing it once monthly it wasn't more than about $5-6 which is pretty amazing. :) When I've tried other litters they've ended up running me easily $40-50/month.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Previously, I was using a cheap generic clumping litter that was only costing about $10(AUD) per month.. I had tried others but the cats either didn't like them, or I didn't like them due to tracking. I just dealt with the messy clay on the tiles and would clean and mop the floor every week when I changed the litter. With the crystals, if I change every two weeks, it'll cost about $22(AUD) a month but if it does go the whole month, it'll only be $11(AUD). Even though it's double what I was paying, $22/month is VERY reasonable, especially when it makes my job with the litter trays so much easier/more pleasant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts