Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are trying to help his mom find a cheaper apartment. She just got a notice in the mail that it was going up to $375. I'm sure that's not much for rent in many places around the country and it's really not that expensive here either. It's just that she only gets a social security check, which hardly makes a dent in anything, so she has to find a cheaper place.

At least we've finally gotten it through her head that she needs to downsize to a 1-bedroom apartment. Until now, she's been living in a 2-bedroom and, thus, she can't qualify to get low-income housing assistance. Trust me, her income is pretty low and she could easily qualify had she resigned herself to the fact that she only needed 1 bedroom but we had to practically beat it into her brains that this was the case. :fust

Well, anyway, since I've been doing a lot of calling today to try and find a cheaper place I was just curious how things are where you live.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
It depends. My apartment is $395 per month for TWO bedrooms (I am still trying to convince my family to let me live alone). My fiance lives with his brother and together they pay $1200 per month.

His apartment is right next to mine 8O Granted, it is a luxury apartment...but the apartment is actually much smaller than mine despite the high cost.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
*throws a shoe at you guys* :lol: :lol:

My apartment is $1200.00 a month, not including utilities, and it is very tiny and very old. There is no dishwasher or garbage disposal, and the carpets are thrashed and dirty from previous tenants. There is no balcony or porch area, and no laundry facilities.

Gotta love California. :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ianthe said:
*throws a shoe at you guys* :lol: :lol:

My apartment is $1200.00 a month, not including utilities, and it is very tiny and very old. There is no dishwasher or garbage disposal, and the carpets are thrashed and dirty from previous tenants. There is no balcony or porch area, and no laundry facilities.

Gotta love California. :twisted: :twisted: :roll:
YIKES! I'll bet it has a lot to do with the fact that, for any given occupation, a person can usually make much more money in CA than they could in ND.

I sure wish we could have moved my house to CA to sell it when I moved in with my husband. His relatives (from the San Fran area) came and visited while I was still living there and said that I could easily get about $300,000 for the size house I had if it were there. I only paid $86,000 for it here. The average house around here sells for about $110,000. I've never lived in an apartment here so I'm not too sure of the averages but I think they are about $500 a month (utilities not included) for a nice-looking 2-bedroom. My mother-in-law's current 2-bedroom apartment ($375/month) is nothing to write home about but it's not bottom of the barrel either.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yeah, you CAN make more money here...but not THAT much more. :? The cost of living is INSANE. Particularly here in Monterey. The apartment we lived in before we moved here, which was in between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento, was about $900.00 a month- and it was pretty nice, and big. Plus gas, etc., is cheaper in that area....but the state only pays Aaron $100 more dollars a month for living/working in THIS area...which is insanely expensive. :roll: It doesn't make up for the increase in cost of living at all.

Oh, and the cheapest house for sale around here, which is a teensy shack with no yard.....is selling for $800,000.00 :roll:

Anywhere in CA is pricey, but where we used to live, most of the houses are in the $500,000.00 range...and they are alot nicer. :roll:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ianthe said:
Oh, and the cheapest house for sale around here, which is a teensy shack with no yard.....is selling for $800,000.00 :roll:

Anywhere in CA is pricey, but where we used to live, most of the houses are in the $500,000.00 range...and they are alot nicer. :roll:
Oh my gosh! I guess we're kind of living quietly up here. One of my husband's friends used to live in a suburb of Minneapolis (about 7 hours from here), sold the house he had here and came back to ND and bought a house in Bismarck. They pretty much have the house completely paid for and money to spare and the house in Bismarck is just as big as the one they left in Buffalo, MN! We also have a couple of neighbors who are retired from the military and both originally from CA. They sold their houses in Cali and moved back here and bought more than twice the house for less than the price as the ones they left behind in Cali.

You know, I was doing some more thinking about income around here. I think things are also so much less expensive out here because we don't have any big industries or anything to entice more people to move here. This is largely a farming area with a lot of the other jobs being retail stores, computer-related (telemarketing), and hospital employees.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
We pay $910 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment including gas, electricity, taxes and parking.

When I lived in England there was 5 of us sharing a 6 bedroom house (one room was used as a study) in Essex and we paid 1500 pounds a month including gas, electricity, taxes and parking.

When I moved back to London, it was a studio apartment for 500 pounds including bills :roll:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
In the metro-Atlanta area, we pay $812 a month for a 2-bed, 1 bath, 1071 sq. ft., terrace-level apartment. It is a gated complex with pool, tennis, fitness room, club house, and optional garage.

We moved to the area thinking we could still pay around $400-500 like we were in Savannah. No, no. You get what you pay for in this area, and the $500 per mo. places were kind of scary.

With our complex, esp., a lot of what people pay is for the location. We are in a "choice" area that is rapidly growing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
apts here mostly start at 1000...we used to pay 1500 for 3 bedroom ...which for C.A...isnt bad compared to others (sad to say)

·
Registered
115 Posts
$1215 for a one bedroom apartment in San Diego, in a pretty nice area close to the beach. It can be less than a thousand when you start going really far inland.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Around here you can get a nice 1 bedroom for about $900 a month. We got really lucky and found a house for rent for $775 a month, 1300 sq ft w/ garage. Now we are moving to the house we just bought, which is a downgrade actually. It's only 1240 sq ft,3 bedrooms/1 bath/1 den/dining room/kitchen/laundry room, very old, very much falling apart, and everythings outdated, the house cost us $200k

·
Banned
804 Posts
I live in Victoria BC and we pay 760 for a 900sq 2 bedroom with a large deck, a storage locker, 3 parkings spots and Water.

The average rental cost is 400-500 for bachelor, 550-650 for 1 bedroom, 700-850 for a 2 bedroom and 900-1500 for a house with its own yeard and parking

Houses here are high tho 400,000-1,500,000 for the average house. 400,000 for a small 1000-1200sqft house on a city lot and the prices get higher. you want land its several million for anything over an acre.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Wow! 8O
I am jealous of what some of you are paying!!
I just got a notice my rent is going up $50 too!

In South Orange County where I live, 1BR apts are in the $1,100-$1,400 range... 2BR are $1,200-$1,700.
And that is not incuding any utilities. Most places used to include your water,sewer,trash in the rent but now they charge separately for that too. And of course add gas and electricity to that too.
BAH!
Ah, but it IS California and I love it here. :)

The bad thing for me is that they are rennovating the apartments here and you have choice. Either you can move into a newly rennovated apartment and start charging you the market rate rent, or you can move out of your apt for a month or 2 while they rennovate your apt and then move back in - but again they charge you the market rate rent at that point. I have been here 6 years, so market rent rate will mean a $300 per month rent increase for me -- of course add into that the moving costs etc and I am just NOT happy about that!! :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
wow...right now we pay $1400 a month for a two bedroom, 1 bathrrom apartment. AND we have to park on the street.

hmm...maybe I should move to ND! :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
The bad thing for me is that they are rennovating the apartments here and you have choice. Either you can move into a newly rennovated apartment and start charging you the market rate rent, or you can move out of your apt for a month or 2 while they rennovate your apt and then move back in - but again they charge you the market rate rent at that point. I have been here 6 years, so market rent rate will mean a $300 per month rent increase for me -- of course add into that the moving costs etc and I am just NOT happy about that!!
Where I live, in La Jolla, they are doing pretty much the exact same thing. They renovate the apartments and turn them into tiny little condos, which they can lease out and charge a lot more for. Makes for some extremely expensive housing in a college area. Probably half of the apartment complexes here have been converted into mini-condo's. Apartment prices went up because of it too, since it's so much harder to get one. It sure sucks. :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was renting a 2 bedroom 1100 corner suite on the top floor in Edmonton for $760/month, which was an average price. At the same time, i was renting out my 2-year old 2 bedroom condo apt for $800 - although I probably could have got more.... Rent seems to ebb much like the tide - we go through some times where vacancy is less than 1% and landlords can charge whatever they want (a bachelor suite dungeon in a basement was costing me $700 then). Then there's times like now, where renters have pretty good choice, and landlords are forced to be a little more reasonable...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We pay $565 a month for a one bedroom. It's not top of the line but it's also not bottom of the line. Prices were a little higher when we lived in Austin.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
In St Cloud, Minnesota, we were living in a 2br apartment for $650/mo. Quite soon, I'm moving down to a room in Columbus and it'll be $270/mo for just a bedroom and the shared kitchen, bath, living room, etc. There are efficiencies and studios for about $400/mo in Columbus, but I can't swing that, since my husband and stepson will still be up here in our house. Nope, it'll be me and ten 'roomies' instead.

Oof. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I pay mortgage on my one bedroom condo for $763. That inlcudes Principle, Interest, Taxes, and Mortgage Insurance. Another $90 for Condo Association Fee (includes water and trash). Plus Utilities.

You can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment for about $550-$650 here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts