Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..my cat lately has been very curious about going out...yesterday the door was a little bit open (my fault!) and he went and next thing i know hes outside walking and minding his own business i called his name he got scared and ran in!... his heart was beating so fast.....he used to be scared of going outside...now i dono he seems scared just tries to still go outside ...and i dont want him to go outside..he is an indoor cat...and there are other animals outside sometimes..especially big cats ..and one even came in front of my door and stared at my cat made thhis noise and left....anyways...basically he is an only indoor cat..and he is neutered....is there anything i can do? or should i just keep saying no and ignore it? he just goes outside and ssmells the gorund and leaves which i dont want him ending up eating! ...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I keep my cats inside also. I have taken Thomas out on a leash. But after that he started trying to bolt out the door.

So, I went outside with the spray bottle and left the door open a bit and for five minutes every time he stuck his head out the door, I sprayed him in the face (he doesn't care if I spray him anywhere else on him body...actually he likes it, so I have to spray the face). So after a few minutes he stopped trying. Now I can leave the door open (not that I would) and he doesn't come close.

I feel bad teaching him to fear going out the door, but it's either that or let him escape.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've used the spray bottle on both of my kitties. It took Otis only a very short while to realize the door meant trouble - now he runs and hides every time I open it. It was either that or having him jump off my second floor balcony and run away before mom ever got down to find him, so considering the alternatives, I didn't even feel bad about doing it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts