Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I cleaned out Skeeter's litter as usual. But then this afternoon, I found him sitting in front of his box, just looking into it. (He has one of the covered boxes.) We just changed the litter out about a week and a half ago, but it already has a sort of acetone-like smell to it. Do you all think his urine has this smell because he's not drinking enough? He's never just sat at his litter box and meowed before. I though maybe a roach or something had crawled in there and it unnerved him, or something! :? I, just this morning, ordered a kitty waterer for him. We're pretty excited about getting that in the next few days. So hopefully he'll drink more. Right now, he favors drinking out of the glass on my nightstand. I hold it for him like a baby so his head won't get stuck in it! :lol:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I certainly hope he doesn't, but maybe he has a UTI???

Those fountains are wonderful, my cats drink a lot more now than they did before.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think he's sick or anything. I mean, we were just at the vet a week ago and everything checked out okay. Plus I know, from my own experience :cry: , that if he had a UTI he'd be using the litter a lot more...maybe not even making it to the litter. He's not using it any more than usual and isn't licking any more than usual. That was a good pick-up, though, AddFran. I'll keep an eye on him.

Perhaps it's the type of little we're using. We have Tidy Cat right now. I used to use Fresh Step with my last cat and that kept very well. This is the first time I've used Tidy Cat. Is there a litter that is preferred (especially for kittens)??

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
we used to have a covered litter box and one day they just didn't seem to like it anymore... they were doing the same thing and crying at the box so i decided to clean it even though i had only cleaned it a few hours before and as soon as i removed the lid to clean it - in he jumped. i left the lid off and he has been happy ever since (except for when he gets told off for kicking litter all over the floor).

We also got a kitty fountain with a dome - and they love drinking from both the done and fountain on it and have been drinking a lot more water.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
icklemiss, I have noticed that when I take the lid off to clean the box, Skeeter will crawl INTO the lid and lay down in it until I am done and lift it up off of him. Maybe we'll try taking it off for a bit. Thanks for letting me know!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Bobbie, Dr. Jean says the odor inside a covered box can be overwhelming. I would try changing the litter more often, and it that doesn't work, remove the lid. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Jeanie! Yes, I think we'll try the little without the lid for a while. Maybe he can use the lid as a play-cave or something. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts