Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat Itty Bitty has been acting slightly odd lately. Sometimes I wonder if maybe she could be afraid of the dark but I notice she does the same thing without it being dark? Maybe separation anxiety? Or maybe she has a problem even more serious?

I notice if she wakes up in a room where there are no humans, which is usually dark (at times not) she wanders around meowing until we call for her or go fetch her. (Most of the time if we call for her it takes her awhile to find us and we just go get her) Tonight I wasn't feeling well so I decided to take a nap, and the room was dark. (Not too dark, I could still see her across the room) As I was falling asleep, multiple times, she began meowing from across the room and seeming a little disoriented? Maybe? Well, as she meowed I began to call for her and she continued meowing, seeming disoriented/scared. Finally I began swishing my hand on the bed while calling for her and she found me. She ran up to me, sniffed my face and left. Then a little while later she did the exact same thing again.

Of course, I notice she does similar things even when the lights are on sometimes. I notice at times she'll be asleep in my bedroom with the door wide open for hours as we sit in the living room (I can see her as I sit in my living room actually), and suddenly she'll wake up and start meowing and acting scared until she finds us (which takes her a awhile) or until we go pick her up. Also a lot of the time if I go to the restroom she will meow and meow the same way in the next room, until I call and she finds me. I dunno if maybe being alone scares her or maybe the dark scares her? I feel bad because she looks so confused and scared. :( She was found on the middle of the road when I got her, she was almost ran over, maybe that could be part of the reason she gets so frightened when she's alone? But I've had her for months and this just started a couple weeks ago so I dunno really. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas on how to help her?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought maybe she had something wrong with her sight, I'll have to get her checked out sometime.

Thanks, I hope so too!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I'll have to get her checked out sometime.
I wouldn't wait to get her checked out. It may be something very simple and easily treated, but at the same time, if it something worse, you should get a jump on it and start treatments for whatever it is right away so that it doesn't get any worse to the point that there won't be anything that can be done for Itty Bitty.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
If you found this cat as a stray and she hasn't been to the vet yet...she definitely needs to go...sooner than later. From her name I assume she's extremely small, is she small and well proportioned or is she really thin? Does she eat a lot for her size? I'm asking because unexplained yowling is a symptom of hyperthyroid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts