Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bud and Gray, now 7 months old, are going to get their "manhoods" removed Thursday.

I'm a bit nervous for them, but the Vet told me its really nothing at all for males.

They are not spraying or anything like that, but one has been trying to "tackle his brother from behind" if ya' know what I mean?

I get scold him a little, but nothing severe as I know its just natural. :?

What will be the biggest differences in them?

·
Registered
220 Posts
My kitties (male) are five months old, I had them both neutered about a month ago. they are perfectly fine, no changes whatsoever. Their personalities are exactly the same as before.

Don't worry about a thing, they will be just fine. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...first time I'm going through it with a pet. I honestly feel a bit guilty about it. :(

I would not want anyone doing the same to me, no matter what. I keep hearing how much better it is for them. They are strictly indoor kittens and probably always will be.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I second Tim, why worry? There is a lot of misconception out there that spaying/neutering is "cruel" or not really as important as its made out to be, especially for indoor only pets. Heck, many people leave dogs unaltered their entire lives, no biggie right?

not so. Intact cats and dogs are more prone to certain cancers and all sorts of undesireable behavior.

Your cats will be happier and healthier :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm one of these people against surgery that's not needed to save a Life.

I keep telling myself this will help the cats live longer and be more healthy.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Todd, don't have to tell yourself that any more, because you are absolutely right! In addition to fewer urinary track problems and no spraying, your cats will neve have to yowl because there's a female nearby in season. You are doing the right thing for yourself, the cats, and society. :)

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Well you can think that you ARE saving your cat's life... two unaltered male cats would make your life and your house a mess... they'd most likely spray all over, become aggressive toward one another, possibly to you as well... just be trouble all around. It would be very difficult to live with them in this state and there's a good chance that'd you would lose patience and possibly not keep them.

By providing them this surgery, you are reducing the risk of any of these sorts of problems, thus ensuring a long and friendly life with you :)

And honestly, even though it is surgery... its literally a little tiny slice, a twist and a snip. No stitches, barely any incision and they won't even know what happened. I work for a vet and we do feline neuters from start to finish in maybe 15 minutes... that's from the initial knocking the cat down (asleep, anesthesia, whatever you want to call it) to the snipping, to waking them up. The surgery itself takes all of 3-5 minutes. Its barely enough to really call it surgery :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Our Buddy got the snip last week. One of my roomies has the same feelings about it as you, but I assured him it was for the best. Buddy is JUST fine. He was back to his old self within a few hours of coming home. He was only at the vet for the day, and has been healing up pretty fast. (Infact I'm pretty sure he's healed up now, but it's so small it's hard to tell!) His personality hasn't changed at all, he's still the rowdy kitten we had before ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
our ceefer had his "snip" friday and you wouldn't even know he'd had it done, we were advised by the vet to leave him be and not play with him etc

But 30 mins after coming home he was batting the heck out of his rattle mouse so there no prbs in the snip :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info folks, I worry about my little buddies and protect them too mucg rpbably. My girlfriend laughs at me because anytime one of the kittens meows, I get up to see what's wrong. Usually they are sitting in a window sill talking to birds-people-cars, etc. 8)

·
Registered
258 Posts
This may or may not be the right place to tack on my question....... but when the "boys" are neutered, are the testicles removed from the sac, or are they "fixed" like in humans. only "snip the line"???????????

Thank you

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Just a note of cyber-support for the snips tomorrow. :D So glad you're doing it, even as you're wincing big-time over the neuters. Like everyone's said, it's just a small half inch to inch line, and they remove the testicles. They should heal up pretty fast. You'll prevent nasty stuff like spraying.

I sympathize with your reluctance, as I know of no human man who's willing to part with his family jewels, and I often hear the same sympathy transference to the cat/dog. Just remember it's a human feeling, and the kitties aren't as concerned as you are about missing them! (We think, of course; we can't ask them). :oops:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts