Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of our cats came to us from parking lots, one from Sam's Club and one from Target.

So I said to my daughter yesterday morning (who works at the gas station at Sam's Club and found the first kitten), "If you find another kitten in the parking lot, make sure it's a girl," because we have only intact females in the house so there'd be no rush on getting a male neutered.

She texted me this morning, she and her brother (also works at Sam's) found a kitten about 4 or 5 weeks old in the parking lot down a drain. ROFL! I sure jinxed us good!

Their dad went over and picked it up. He's had some canned kitten food mixed with water, then I gave him a bath and now we're cuddling while he's drying off.

Here's a pic! Oh, and I think it's a boy but I'm notoriously bad at that.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
He's adorable!! If he's young (like too young to have been neutered already), you can probably just flip him over to see if "he" is male or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, he's too young to be neutered, which means he's too young for little boy parts to have started growing.

He just went for a ride to Target and Petco. I picked some KMR stage 2 formula, mixed it with canned kitten food and water, and he ate a bunch more.

Very friendly, easy going, and no fleas, I think he's lost or abandoned, not a stray.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Aww poor thing- glad you have him now! I wasn't sure how early the boy parts are noticeable; I just read a few things that say 6 weeks (I got my boy kitten at 8 weeks, so it was easier to tell). I guess you'll find out when "he" gets his wormer & shots though!! Good luck with the kitten :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The second cat person in my house thinks he's a boy, too (she was at work until last evening). So he's probably a boy. I didn't mean no one could tell his sex, I just meant I wouldn't bet on my assessment. I have three thought-they-were-girls cats No one inmy family relies on me for young kitten gender ID, LOL!

·
Registered
114 Posts
the it kit does look cute, if you want to know if it is boy flip it over or just wait to find out or maybe the vet can tell you some how.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Whats up with people dumping cats and dogs at Walmarts, Targets etc! They do that here too!

What a cute kitten. Glad he wasnt run over. I hope you get all your kitties to a vet asap to be spayed. Last thing you need is more kittens! If your cats are 3 pounds they can be S/N and vacinated. Kudos for rescueing these kitties.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If my found kitten is not claimed, we will neuter him by Christmas. We estimate he'll be about 5 months old then. I'm budgeting one a month, about all I can afford, this little cutie plus 3 females.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Try checking around your town for low cost spay/neuter clinics. Call rescues and tell them you need help getting all your kitties S/N. I know my TNR group and our local no kill shelter gives out vouchers to take to your vet to S/N for free.

IF this is a little boy you dont want to let it go to long before you get him Neutered because he might start spraying in your house with your females present to mark his territory. Once its starts its a hard habit to break.

Have you tried your little guy on soft kitten food mixed with a bit of KMR to see if he will eat it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice! He's eating well, canned kitten food mixed with KMR weaning formula several times a day, and dry kitten food and water in his crate available all the time.

We have 2 main low-cost S/N options in my area. The cheapest ($20 male cat) is very hard to get an appointment. The next cheapest is only about 1/3 less than my local vet. Both have similar hours which don't work with my schedule, don't keep the cat overnight, and are a PITA drive for me to go there.

Because of those reasons, for the past year I've chosen to do the S/N at my nearby private vet, who does keep them overnight, and just do them per month. Don't worry, they'll all get done. :)

I'll double check with the vet about minimum weight and take this little boy in when he reaches it. We weighed him this morning and he's 1.3 pounds, so he's just a little boy. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My boys were done at 5 months, and we never had peeing issues until over a year and a half later. I don't think it's related at all.

At 5 months they are still very much kittens, I wouldn't wait any longer than 6 months, but even so I would think spraying is unlikely until 7-8 months when they are closer to sexual maturity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts