Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My babies are getting a bit sharp claws so I decided I'd give them a little trim while they were snoozing in my lap. Suzy didn't even flinch, she just let me do all 4 paws without even caring. Sam was more curious and tried to bite the clipper a few times, but he let me clip his claws no problem. As long as I let him attack the clipper he was fine.

Is it supposed to be this easy? I've heard horror stories about kittens hanging in the ceiling rather than have their claws trimmed.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It depends... cutting Clover's nails puts her right to sleep, and Tony is a little more difficult but still lets me. Jasper and Jesse (the two longhaired kitties) will not let us get anywhere near their paws. They go up to Petsmart to get them clipped.

Don't know if this is relevant... it's really easy to clip my rabbits' nails, too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Envy is like that, she doesn't care one bit. Chaos is a different story, he yowls like im torturing him even before I make the first cut and struggles to get off my lap. I have to get my Fiance's help to hold him still so I don't accidently cut too much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For me, it seems as though the more I do it the easier it gets. They don't seem to mind much anymore. Actually Bagheera is so laid back you can do almost anything to him and he doesn't care.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Yes, the earlier you start doing it, the better. By doing it on a regular yet frequent basis, they get used to it and not care as much.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been playing with their paws a lot. Didn't want to cut the claws until they've settled in properly in their new home so I have been touching their paws, pressing down on them to get the claws out ect, but never done anything until today. I'm so happy they accept me playing with their paws and ears, which should make life a lot more easy the day it really needs taking care of.

Now I have two very content cats purring beside me... almost hard to type since they like to lay ON me. :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
When you start them as kittens, it's a breeze. Jack and Mia were older and unfamiliar when I got them. They were SO afraid of the clippers at first -- it was a total pain! I'd have fur all over me and I'd only be able to do 1 or 2 nails at a time. Then I'd have to calm them with treats and petting and the whole shebang. It took me 2 hours to do both of them! Now with lots of patience, they are a total breeze as well. No complaints, and I can get all four paws at once.

My brother just adopted a little kitten, I showed him how to clip the nails and I did all four at once -- the kitty fell asleep! Kittens are definitely easier -- you're lucky.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Maleke is ok when I clip his nails, Magic HATES it and complains as if I'm torturing him!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish they liked the shower as much as the nail clipper! :D

I took a shower last night and it was hot so I left the door open and the kittens were racing about, playing. One of them decided to do a detour to get the other kitten off and realized it was wet in there and skid pretty badly on the wet floor before skidding out. I've never seen so disturbed kittens before, it was like I had committed murder. :lol:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thomas loves the shower! As soon as I turn on the water he comes running, skids around the door and leaps up on the side of the tub. He mostly just sits there. But sometimes he gets in, runs through and jumps out the other side. Also, he throws his mice into the shower with me, and then sits there like...okay throw it for me. So I do (I'm trained real well).

I've clipped his nails ever since I got him, he used to sleep through it, now he stuggles to get away. :?

·
Registered
917 Posts
at first both mine wailed and tried to bite, now they just try to get their paws away every couple of nails and might struggle a bit. they're getting used to it.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Precious doesn't mind at all, but Blueberry wiggles and fights to get away most of the time. I often have to be satisfied with only one nail at a time. He's a love bug, but he's a sissy about nail clippers, and I've never hurt him by clipping too short!

He reminds me of one of my Collies. We all know that it doesn't hurt to cut hair, but he thought getting his whiskers cut off for a show was agony! (Yes, everyone has to do this, because that's part of grooming for a show. Seems extreme, but----)

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have to take mine to the vet. i can get a friend to help me chip her nails but i don't want to induce anymore trauma from me since she's already timid enough. i would rather have the vet tech to scare her than me :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts