Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been many calls to enact and implement internet bullying laws. The reason for this is that cyber bullying incidents have drastically escalated. In Missouri, a 13-year-old girl was reported to have committed suicide after being intensively tormented online. Another teenager in Vermont killed himself because rumors that he was gay spread online.
Cases like this have pressured legislators in the country to enact Internet bullying laws which will prevent and put an end to cyber bullying. A number of States across the country have introduced legislation against internet bullying. These States include New York, Missouri, Rhode Island and Maryland. Missouri already has an Ordinance in effect which punishes online bullying as a misdemeanor. California has also passed Internet bullying laws which empowers school administrators to enforce disciplinary actions against students who engage in internet bullying. This will help prevent the spread of this practice by making it known that internet bullies are sure to face sanctions as a result of such wrongful acts.
Internet bullying is a relatively new type of offense. This serves as a challenge to legislators to enact new laws, particularly Internet bullying laws, and not just modify existing ones. There have been several proposals to render illegal the use of internet technology in the harassment and intimidation of individuals.

Copied from Internet Bullying - Internet Bullying Laws

Just saying that this board needs to inact some cyber bullying rules.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and my cousin committed suicide last year becaue he was being bullied on the internet... it is real and it is wrong.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I think that there is an ocean of difference between someone making a comment that might well have been a poorly executed joke and cyber bullying.

Now hounding someone for making what was probably a joke, posting comments about them and trying to get them banned...that i would consider cyber bullying.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that there is an ocean of difference between someone making a comment that might well have been a poorly executed joke and cyber bullying.

Now hounding someone for making what was probably a joke, posting comments about them and trying to get them banned...that i would consider cyber bullying.

I'm not trying to get anyone banned, if anything I thought I would be banned for standing up to a moderator. Nor am I hounding anyone. I just think it is important that it be a rule on this forum not to bully anyone, and if you make a "poorly excuted joke" that may have really hurt someone's feelings (especially a child) that an apology should be made.

And there is a very fine line between joking and bullying.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Oh please, the person who was "bullied" bullies other people on this board more harshly than anything Marie said.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Well then maybe more posts need to be read before you call to have a mod banned. If every one bullying should be punished, like you say, then half this board should be banned. Not only for treating certain disabled members like idiots but for treating regular people joining the forum who may not share in the same beliefs as them (fixing their cat, feeding canned, declawing, breeding).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not trying to get anyone banned, and maybe I am speaking from a more emotional POV because I did recently lose a cousin to cyber bullying a year ago, and it didn't take much. I don't think we should walk on eggshells around here, but maybe be more courteous. It's a touchy subject and I know I was shocked to see the comment, so I can only imagine how the other party felt. It's not my intention to get everyone riled up, I just know what it feels like and it hit close to home. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

·
Banned
602 Posts
I understand what you are talking about RAM. It was very harsh and I would be hurt if someone bullied my child too. I just hope her daughter never read it as she reads and posts here too.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Mow mow, my question wasn't aimed at you.

I think Marie's comments were a tad harsh in their wording but Praline's a grown woman. As I said in the other thread (about her cat), I doubt she needs some bleeding heart to defend and protect her.

Actual bullying is being ignored because of things like this. Being honest about a kid's singing is not bullying IMO. The word is used WAY too often nowadays.

Stop letting your emotions hide your common sense Kira.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts