Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Da Bird in the mail yesterday. I had been wondering how it could be better than all my other wand toys...but it is! The wand is so long and flexible...that bird flew all over the living room.

I wanted to find out from others. When playing with Da Bird, who gets more excersize? You or your cat?

I'm running around, whipping da bird all over the place and Thomas just finds a spot, hunkers down and when da bird comes close, he grabs it. I can make him climb to the top of his cat tree to get it, but he goes so slow. I kinda thought he would run around. How do your cats play with da bird?

Kitty was also interested, she would try to catch it if it came close to her bed. But, it also scared her, after a while she went into the kitchen to get out of harms way. My little sister hit her with a wand toy years ago and since then she's a little afraid of any of them.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
:lol:

When I pull out the fishing pole toy, Sabby hunkers down like he's gonna attack, chin close to the ground, tail whipping behind him. After a few minutes, I realize he's tucked his front paws underneath himself and has no intention of running after the toy. So I would say that I get more exercise than he does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At 19+, Kairo's not overly interested in playing. Still, every now and then, she perks up when Da Bird comes out and will swat it around at her geezerly pace. In her younger days, she definitely got the most exercise. This was a full-body sport. :D
Mel

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I used to wonder how Assumpta managed to survive as a stray, because when we get the mousie-toy out, she'll chase it for a couple of minutes and then roll over with her legs stretched out, eyes half-closed, with this look on her face like "okay, bring it to me!" (we call this "sleep-hunting") Once I saw her catch a real mouse, though, my opinion that she was a lazy hunter was completely changed...she really is one of the best mousers I've ever seen. But for a fake mousie, it's just not worth the energy, I guess :)

I've never tried Da Bird, because Assumpta is totally NOT interested in chasing flying feathers (though she likes to chase moths occasionally). She seems to prefer her prey to be on the ground. She'll sit there and watch feather toys fly around with a bored and slightly amused look ("Humans...they're not too bright, but they sure are funny...")

The only thing that she really chases after is a long piece of string or leather dragged through the house. Overall, though, I think I expend more energy than Assumpta during playtime. :roll:

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I haven't brought it out for a while they get LOTS of exercise with da bird. I tend to just let it fly around in circles temptingly over their heads, just out of reach. Before long someone starts jumping and doing acrobatics to get it. You don't really have to go in circles...just going back and forth in a line is fine (and less of a workout on the person running it). The way it slows down at the end of each turn around is very intriguing to my cats.

If they are less active in chasing it I place objects on the floor and have the bird fly around for a while and then land behind some object out of view and requiring them to mosey over to check it out. If it stays there for a few moments and twitches they usually can't resist. I try to run it so that it acts like a bird...landing for a while but quickly taking off when rushed.

My big problem when I first got da bird was that once they caught the thing they'd just hold it in their mouth and drag it (stick/string trailing and bumping along) all over the house. I finally figured out that if I pet their heads they'll drop it and we can get back to playing.

~Heather

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hobochangba LOVES da bird - he truly can't get enough. He plays until he starts panting, and then I wind down the play session.

Generally, I stand at the "open" end of my hallway, where it junctions with the kitchen (big open space) and the livingroom (big open space, but out of his line of vision from the hallway) and whip the wand around in the air, then let it land as far from me as I can, then wait for him to pounce, then fling it up over his head (he jumps and spins in mid-air) and fly it into the kitchen and/or livingroom where it will either land, or zip back down the hallway for him to chase. Sometimes he catches it, and carries it into the hallway and will play by himself for a minute while I stand nearby attempting to keep the string from wrapping around him as he rolls around biting and attacking it.

Pretty much I'm in the same general spot the whole time. I think if I was running around, he'd start wondering what the heck I was doing and I'd step on him or trip over him or something. My goal is to remain as inconspicuous as possible.

He knows where da bird is kept (bathroom closet) and comes running into the bathroom EVERY time the closet door is opened...just hoping it's da bird time.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like a normal wand with string and feathers, see here:

http://www.thecatconnection.com/miva/me ... gory_Code=

But the difference is that the wand is really long, like 3 feet or something and very flexible. Also, the feathers connect to the string with a piece of fishing tackle, a swivel something..I can't remember, that allows the feathers to spin, which makes a cool flapping noise (like the birds) when you swing it around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts