Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
Just looking for some advice in regards to me having 6 new little mouths to feed so it's going to be a bit long :) sorry haha

My lovely lady cat gave birth to her first litter last Friday. (All of which already have forever homes waiting and this will be her only litter as she is getting neutered once she has stopped feeding)

They are all doing really well and have their eyes open are double in size, some of which have already started wandering away from the nest. This is where my problem started. Because of their wandering I've not had to upgrade them to a high sided box.

Usually only one at a time would wander away meaning mummy cat could pick them up and take them back home, but last night and today there were a few out of the nest at the same time, much to the despair of mummy, I wanted to help her but I know it's best to just leave her to do it on her own. The dad of the kittens is also mine and up til now has just kept a watchful eye on the new deliveries but last night when a couple of the kittens were crying looking for mum he went over to them and grabbed one by its neck in his mouth. Looking like he was trying to pick it up like mummy does but he just couldn't get the grip right. Once they had all been returned back to bed he then started cleaning them and helping them 'go to the toilet' which he hasn't done before.
Since yesterday he's been next to them none stop and whenever one tries escaping he tries, but fails to pick them up and take them back.

From what it looks like he's just trying to be a helpful dad, helping round them up and clean them.

But I've read a lot of horror stories online whilst trying to find if this is normal about daddy cats grabbing their young by the neck and shaking until they die and I'm just worried this is something that could be building up so I'm looking for other peoples opinions on what he's doing.

Obviously when I'm at work, not in etc the mum and kitty's are locked away from the other cats and only supervised visits are allowed while they are still so small so if anything untoward did happen I would be on hand to stop it.

I just want to know if I have a loving, caring daddy on my hands or a secret psycho haha.

Thanks for any answers in advance x

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Welcome Mothercat, sounds like the Dad is alright with the kittens...hope others chime in here for you!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Aww, that's sweet. Yeah, it sounds like Dad knows what he's doing. We have an older cat at a shelter I volunteer at who take care of the "youngsters" and everyone calls him Grandpa. Male cats can actually be very nurturing too.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If daddy isn't neutered you need to separate him ASAP!

Not only does the mother need a quiet, safe, free from other pets space for the kittens she coukd actually be pregnant again already! Cats can go into a post-birthing heat, meaning your girl could literally be nursing kittens AND growing more.

You need to take the male to get neutered ASAP, and separate mum to a calm room away from everything else. Meaning with the door shut and no access for dad or any other pets.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Librarychick brings up some important points! If the mama cat gets pregnant again while she's still trying to take care of this litter, not only will her health suffer, but the kittens as well...
So even if Dad is being a good Dad, you need to keep them separated...
I don't know if this was a 'Oops' pregnancy or planned for...
If you get Dad neutered, you'll still need to keep him separate for a while as there will still be enough hormones left in him to possibly still get her pregnant again! (up to a month!) So I've been told!
Also consider getting Mom spayed soon...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts