Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to see how I compare...

To those who don't free feed, how much food do you feed your cats on the average day?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I free feed but I also measure out the food. I put 1/2 cup out for each cat and they are free to pick at it throughout the day.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I free feed dry food all the time, my cats are not over eaters though. I know some are, so I think it depends on the cat.

·
Registered
676 Posts
On a normal basis I feed meals 2x daily.

Isha and Asim both get about 1/4 a cup per meal, so that's 1/2 a cup a day.
Tage gets a little less then 1/2 cup per day.

I personally like to count out the peices they eat, so I know how much exactly they are eating at any give time, and I can recognize fluctuations immediatly.

The amount you feed daily will depend on your cat, and what food you are feeding. On some brands Asim and Isha will eat 2 full cups per day!! Of course, some cats (well a lot of cats) out there are overfed, whether their owners realize that or not, and some underfed.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I free feed and don't mind if my cats gain a bit of weight. They seem to nibble alot throughout the whole day but they are about 10 lbs. each. Before I used to feed them 3 times a day morning, afternoon, and night but they always seemed to be starving by the next feeding and plus they weren't overweight so I just free fed after that. :p

·
Registered
676 Posts
kitkat: consider yourself lucky then! Maybe your buggars have a fast motabolizm. Free feeding is a conviences that really just isn't a convinence for me, unless I wanted to later pay for yearly liposuction for the kitties haha.

When I say fat... I MEAN fat, I was very shocked to see that about 75% of our clients whoms cats are veeeeerry over weight. And the small carriers these people cram their fat cats into, EGADS, lol.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason I ask, is that I'm having troubles with Punky.

I've been giving both cats 1/3 cup in the morning and a 1/3 cup at night. I've been trying to cut down to 1/4 cup each serving but then Punky acts like I'm starving her. The last time she visited the vet, (Oct. 29), she weighed 10.6 lbs. The vet and I set a target weight for her to be around 9lbs. That was when I bought the Wellness Tukey/Salmon. I haven't seen any improvements yet, she's still noticably fat.

My next "trick", which I will start tomorrow, is to divide a half cup into three portions. I'll give them a breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Padunk: If you do decide to reduce the amount you feed daily, make sure you do it very gradually, or yes your cats larger tummies WILL be hungry with out enough food. Once their stomachs adapt to the smaller meals, and theri body is taking what it needs from the food source this should simmer down. But then again there are some cats and dogs out there whom always act hungry hoping we'll cave in, you just have to say no to it, or give em a couple peices of a very healthy snack in between meals.

1/3 a cup at a time might be too much for Punky, and it might not be enough, dependant on how the food reacts with the cat, and the cats motabolism. Share this concern with your vet, from the history they have on Punky they will be able to tell you a better target feeding amount.

On average it takes about 2 or 3 months to see any real results from a food, good or bad, in other cases I have known it to take up to 6 months! Depends on the condition, how bad it is, and how prolonged it has been.

Keep in mind, wet food is great for weight loss, but it's also great for weight gain! It depends a lot on how much you feed and what you feed, while your feeding a great brand, you might be feeding too much.
Good luck, I'm sure something will work :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
How much they eat also depends on the weather. During the warm and hot times of the year, my menagerie doesn't eat much, but when the first signs of Autumn begins I have to purchase twice as much food, both dry and canned, than what is normal during the summer months. (I have to free feed my furkids. When I get up they bug me, especially Tiger, until I feed them their usual breakfeast. This consists of dry food mixed with some canned. I feed my menagerie about 5 large yoghurt cups of dried food for about a 12- hour period. The same feeding menu is repeated when I go to bed at night.) Especially, in Winter, they can eat an enormous amount of food. The 3 or 4 outdoor stray and feral cats that I feed, during the winter they are constantly eating, therefore, I have to keep their bowl full most of the day and night. Sometimes, it is necessary to refill it 3 times a day. Chrissie is the one that I watch for weight. He normally weighs about 14 lbs during the cold months and about 11 lbs during the warm times of the year. All of the others seem to follow suit. Of course, he is the most active of all of them when it comes to running and playing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
How much they eat also depends on the weather. During the warm and hot times of the year, my menagerie doesn't eat much, but when the first signs of Autumn begins I have to purchase twice as much food, both dry and canned, than what is normal during the summer months. Especially, in Winter, they can eat an enormous amount of food. The 3 or 4 outdoor stray and feral cats that I feed during the winter, are constantly eating, therefore, I have to keep their bowl full most of the day and night. Sometimes, it is necessary to refill it 3 times a day. Chrissie is the one that I watch for weight. He normally weighs about 14 lbs during the cold months and about 11 lbs during the warm times of the year. All of the others seem to follow suit. Of course, he is the most active of all of them when it comes to running and playing.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
AngelZoo said:
(snip)I was very shocked to see that about 75% of our clients whoms cats are veeeeerry over weight. And the small carriers these people cram their fat cats into, EGADS, lol.
I have to carry Sabastion in a copy paper box and it's still a tight fit. People look at me funny, but it works really well. I don't have to cram him into an uncomfortable carrier, it's got handles on either side of the box so I can carry it two-handed, and he likes it. The vet gets done with the examination, I put the box on the table, he jumps right in, and we're off!

I measure Sabby's food with a 1/2 cup measuring cup, but I don't fill it all the way. I give him a little under half a cup in the morning and a little under half a cup in the evening. But only if the bowl is empty. Sabby goes through periods where he's ravenous and he'll eat everything or periods where he's anorexic and won't touch the food in his dish. If he's going through an anorexic phase, I just replace whatever food he did eat. I used to let him graze all day, but took away the self-feeder when he started vomiting nearly every day. Shortly after that was when he was diagnosed with diabetes. It's important that a little bit of food be available to him in case his blood sugar gets low. I just don't want tons of it out because if he's going through a ravenous phase he'll eat himself sick.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
My cats are on a restricted diet so they don't get that much food. Between the three of them they get 2 cans of wet food and just under 2/3 cup dry a day. This seems to be just enough to keep them from always being hungry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts