Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has pretty bad dandruff which seems to be getting worse, she also seems to be loosing more fur than usual. I took her to the vet and he said she’s in good health just try feeding her wet food only for a couple of weeks and brushing her everyday and bring her back if no improvement. She’s so fussy with food she isn’t keen on wet food, won’t eat fish (wierd I know), won’t eat her dry food if I try putting a fish oil supplement on. She’s drinks plenty of water and I haven’t changed anything in the house for it to possibly be an allergy (she’s an indoor kitty). The heating has been on a lot over winter which I thought could be a factor. I am trying to ease off and wear layers instead! Has anyone any tried and tested remedies they can recommend before I take her back to the vet?

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I wish I had suggestions for you. I had a kitty who sometimes had dandruff. A few times, I couldn't run a comb through her without it looking like it had snowed on her, and then it would just go away in a couple of days. I was never able to figure out what triggered it, as it would happen even in the summer when it was humid.

Did the vet say anything about her losing fur?

I hope someone else has some ideas for you about the dandruff!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
my groomer actually mentioned Vitamin E and so i have been squeezing just a couple drops of it onto Phoebe's food and i believe it does help some. i just get the human gelcaps and poke a hole in them to squeeze it out each morning. someone mentioned to me when i started this that vit E is a blood thinner so you don't want to use much. check with your vet for advice, though, if you're worried about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! My vet said she wasn’t loosing unusual amount of hair as there were no patches missing and said her fur is in good condition, not dull at all. She seems to be getting used to the wet food a little which is good, I’ll try a little vitamin E with it. I also bought a humidifier to put in the room she spends most time in, and a hygrometer to measure the humidity in the air. Apparently 55-70% is a good humidity measurment in a home and mine is 38% right now so Im thinking this is the main culprit. I’ll also try a little coconut oil if she lets me put some on her. Fingers crossed one of these is going to help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts