Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
My cat has the same problem - I also posted something similar but no one has responded yet. I don't know what causes it. I'm wondering if a bath will take care of it?

·
Registered
651 Posts
You might consider changing to a premium cat food brand like Nutro, Chicken Soup, etc. Get the most expensive cat food they have at your local Petsmart or Petco! :lol:

These brands are expensive but have better ingredients (less fillers). The better food usually results in better skin and coat condition, as well as better digestion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, that is what I've been feeding my cat ever since she was a kitten. In fact, she is so picky with food that she won't eat anything other than Nutro. I'm wondering if the flakes (they're not big, just little specks) are caused because her skin underneath her fur is dry? Maybe I'm brushing her too hard? I don't think I am, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just a personal experience.... I was feeding Maya Nutro Natural and she loved it, and I felt good about it being a good food.... but I did notice that she had some white flakes on her black fur. About 2 weeks ago I switched over to Wellness, wet in the morning and dry at night (I switched slowly, she's still getting a little bit of Nutro in with the dry) and it may be my imagination, but I'm noticing less dandruff and maybe even less shedding than before. I've heard other people claim similar experiences, so if you would consider switching over to a food even more premium than Nutro (the highest-end foods can get pricey, but when you work it out, its still barely a couple dollars a week... I can give up a latte or two for my kitty :D ), it may be worth a try!

·
Registered
107 Posts
there are a number of things you can do to reduce dandruff, but some breeds just naturally are more likely to have it. My mom is allergic to cat dandruff, and we did a lot of research, and discovered that Abesinians have far less dandruff then say, a siamese. so depending on the breed, it may be harder to get rid of. talk to a vet and they should be able to help, good luck!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I disagree about breeds being prone to dandruff. It's not natural and not normal, in any breed. Also, people are not allergic to dandruff itself but to a particular protein that may be present in it. Here is an excerpt from our report on "Living with Allergies to Cats":

"The 7 known cat allergens are shed in saliva, skin secretions, and to some extent in urine. The major cat allergen is a protein called “Fel d 1” that is secreted primarily in the cat’s saliva and skin, and transmitted throughout the coat during grooming."

In my experience, most often, dandruff it is related to diet, and usually to the dry food. Just adding or increasing the amount of canned food, because it's higher in protein and fat as well as moisture, will make a big difference.

I recommend Nutro, but admittedly it is not the *best* of the natural/superpremium foods. It's a good, reasonable choice if you have a limited budget and/or do your shopping at Petsmart or Petco. It's fine to include in a rotation among several good brands. Nutro has set itself up as the better alternative to Iams, and that is certainly true. I have a lot of respect for Nutro and know many of the folks that work there. They're good people. But not all animals will do well on their foods. My dog had a terrible time with their beef and rice, but did fine on the lamb and rice. Go figure.

Supplementing the diet, particularly with Omega-3 fatty acids, will often do wonders for the skin and coat. Antioxidants and enzymes wouldn't hurt. See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... atsanddogs for more details on supplements and what they do.

Combing will eventually help, too, by distributing the oils more evenly through the coat, but in the short term you are likely to see the problem get worse. If you persevere through it, you'll be rewarded!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts