Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
"We will not allow anyone to observe Valentine's Day as it does nothing but spread immorality among youth," said Aasiya Andrabi, firebrand leader of the separatist Dukhtaran-e-Millat or Daughters of Faith.
Yes, well they're setting a WONDERFUL example for their youth...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Eh. With America's crusades against 'The Gay' in the name of morality and religious principle, I can't really look at this and think "Whoa, they're weird!"

Interesting story, though.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I don't like Valentine's day. Unlike any other holiday only certain people are allowed to celebrate it (couples with money). I used to envy all those people who celebrate Valentine'd Day when I was single....but even now we still never celebrate Valentine's days because we are so broke.

It is just a commercialized holiday to make money, in my opinion.

When I was living in a ladies dorm I have heard some stories about guys who dump their girlfriends just before Valentine's Day so they don't have to celebrate it. So much for celebrating the people you love 8O 8O 8O

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I remember when I was little there was no such thing as Valentine's Day...then one day there was a commercial that said "if you don't give your girl a Ferros Rocher banquet for Valentine's Day, you don't love her"

Nowadays there are "novelty" stores. So much for moral Decay :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the most part, I've always found Valentines Day stupid. I don't need a pre-set "love day" to give my bf cheaply-made, overpriced, cutesy baubles to show that I love him, nor does he need it. I simply ignore it's existence and do special things for him on completely random days.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
shengmei said:
I remember when I was little there was no such thing as Valentine's Day...then one day there was a commercial that said "if you don't give your girl a Ferros Rocher banquet for Valentine's Day, you don't love her"
Shengmei, I'm much older than you, and I don't remember any time that there wasn't a Valentine's Day. In elementary school we decorated a box and put a valentine in it for each child in the class. Perhaps that wasn't allowed in your school. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I certainly don't see anything wrong with Valentine's Day and for those who love it, that's great! I can take it or leave it though. We don't make a big deal of it anymore...must be getting too old. It is awful commercialized, as is everything else in America. My husband and I exchange cards but that's about it. We are frugal folks and we just don't spend anything on this holiday. Speaking of cards....I found a lovely, brand new, very sweet, romantic and musical card for only 29 cents at the local thrift store. I was so happy about that! :D My hubby will love it. Happy Valentines Day everyone! :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well, I like it, but it's not a big deal. It seems like it is a bigger deal when you do not have a significant other and also a bigger deal when you are in middle and high school.
I bought my husband some boxers since he needs some anyway. I could not find any Valentines ones that I liked...they were all either silk or XL sizes. So I got him some nice blue ones and some fishing themed ones. :D I'm also making him a card. We try to save money where we can and it is much more personal to make a card anyway. I did spend some money today buying new markers and some glitter though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't think there is anything too weird about that. You can't get more of a westernised day than Valentines day. I think to make a comment that they have too much time on their hands is absurd, they are fighting for something they believe in...not a waste of time in my opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spamlet said:
I don't think there is anything too weird about that. You can't get more of a westernised day than Valentines day. I think to make a comment that they have too much time on their hands is absurd, they are fighting for something they believe in...not a waste of time in my opinion.
I think my comment was justified and tempered considering the fact that the leader of this fanatical group spent several years in jail for harrassing couples for showing affection in public.
Fighting for what you believe in doesn't give people the right to harrass and steal. These women steal the valentines merchandise from shop keepers and burn it in the streets to protest.
Do you agree with this sort of behavior?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Depending on the cause, sometimes, yes. I'm not saying that I particularly agree in this case, I would need to know a lot more about this particular group first. But with regards to their beliefs on Valentines day and the Westernisation of their culture, I wouldn't say that it was a waste of time. Don't forget we are talking about this from a Western view, where 'traditions' like Valentines day are, unfortunately, ingrained in our society. If they believe it is a cause to be fought, then fine. Who am I to judge?

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Jeanie said:
shengmei said:
Shengmei, I'm much older than you, and I don't remember any time that there wasn't a Valentine's Day. In elementary school we decorated a box and put a valentine in it for each child in the class. Perhaps that wasn't allowed in your school. :)
I am from Taiwan :D :D :D

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
reprot said:
Ah come on girls who doesn't love a box of chocolates?? I don't care who buys, heck any excuse for candy.
Yes, the 75% off Valentine's candy event....my favorite part of Valentine's Day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, I generally find Christmas candies to be of much higher quality. Usually those heart-shaped boxes contain poor-quality chocolates.

Besides, yesterday I was grocery shopping and the workers were taking Valentine's day chocolates from the shelves and replacing them with chocolate Easter bunnies. It seems now that every single holiday it is a celebration of chocolate :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe I should buy some stock in Lindor's truffles :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
858 Posts
shengmei said:
reprot said:
Ah come on girls who doesn't love a box of chocolates?? I don't care who buys, heck any excuse for candy.
Yes, the 75% off Valentine's candy event....my favorite part of Valentine's Day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, I generally find Christmas candies to be of much higher quality. Usually those heart-shaped boxes contain poor-quality chocolates.

Besides, yesterday I was grocery shopping and the workers were taking Valentine's day chocolates from the shelves and replacing them with chocolate Easter bunnies. It seems now that every single holiday it is a celebration of chocolate :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe I should buy some stock in Lindor's truffles :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh my, Easter candy, I get wobbley just seeing a Zitner's Butter Krak Easter egg. Oh and Zitner's Coconut eggs. This may be a local thing I'm not sure.
I love chocolate and a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I respect that they just have different beliefs and ways of life, and if they don't care for the holiday, I understand that it's just part of their culture. But I honestly think they aren't showing the same respect for different cultures. They live one way, but to say that everyone else should live like that and believe what they believe...isn't okay with me. I think their opinions about "western culture's intentions" is a huge overreaction. If they don't understand or agree that is okay, but to say that it's evil or horrible and make assumptions about people's intentions...is just sad. I want to tell them that if they don't respect me or listen to me, why should I respect them and listen to their opinion? :(

Valentine's Day is not meant to steal any innocence, promote promiscuity, corrupt youths, or any of that. It's just a holiday that people can do what they want with. Some people think it's a sweet day to do something special for a spouse, SO, friend, etc. Some people think it's stupid and a waste of time. But it's certainly not harming anyone in and of itself. It's just a day, and it's a choice whether or not to celebrate it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts