Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Well I was going to de-worm all my cats with Drontal(an allwormer which treats everything in one pill), but the cat shelter uses Droncit(tapeworm) and Strongid-T(roundworm).

Does anyone know if Drontal works? If it does, wouldn't it be much easier for shelters to use it?

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am not familiar with Drontal. I used Strongid and Albon(for coccidia) when I was caring for my foster babies. I wouldn't trust any deworming or flea over the counter medicine - my suggestion is to consult your vet - that is what I would do for the peace of mind :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
From my experience, Drontal does work and is very common in veterinary clinics. It's effective for roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms, but is usually fairly expensive. Droncit is cheaper than Drontal, and Strongid-T is a liquid that with just one bottle would treat a large number of pets in a shelter. So, the shelter is probably trying to keep expenses low.

Also, roundworms and tapeworms are the two worms people can identify just by looking and are the most common. Hookworms would need to be identified by viewing a stool sample under a microscope. You could always have a stool sample checked by your veterinarian and that way, you would know which wormer you would need. In most cases, in multiple cat households with community litter boxes for everyone, if one kitty has something, they all have it, with the exception of tapeworms. Tapeworms are mainly a result of ingesting/eating a flea, so only kitties who eat a flea will get the tapeworms. Some people only treat for tapeworms when they see them, since you never know who or when one eats a flea. Best thing for you to do is to ask your vet and see what he or she thinks.

Another possibility for you to try might be a prescription topical product called Revolution. You should ask your vet about it. It's not really anymore expensive than Advantage or Frontline, and aside from killing all the stages of the fleas, which helps to prevent tapeworms, it also protects against heartworms, ear mites, roundworms and hookworms. I use it on all 3 of my cats once every month and haven't had a problem. And besides that, in the long run, I've found it cheaper than periodic testing and treating for these parasites. Might be something to think about and ask your vet about.

I hope you find something that works for you and your kitties. Good luck!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drontal is NOT over the counter just to let you know. Anyway, thanks for the info Miss Meowkins :D

Just to let you know Miss Meowkins, the cat magazine said unless your cat HAS a few or more of the problems Revolution treats, you shouldn't use it. It is best to use something that targets what you want to treat, and only use it for as long as it needs to be used.

Also, 3 vets I have talked to say that Advantage is the best product on the market for fleas. That's just mine, the cat magazine, and the vets opinion. But you should really look into it further.

Dr. Jean also told me that indoor-only cats don't need to be de-wormed annually. My cats go outdoors, so I want to do them every other year. And they also get Advantage every 1.5 months. Really, to me, Revolution is a big waste of money.

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
205 Posts
My kitty was given Drontal at my vet's after I brought him home from the shelter and he had worms.

My kitty had good success with it. He was given Revolution at the shelter and that didn't work so great for him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts