Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat of 10 years resently passed away leaving me and her kitty cat brother really upset. They had been together since they were very little, only a month apart.

And since she died he refuses to come inside at times, and when he does he cries and wanders the house looking for his departed friend. It has been nearly a month and half now, and it is not only heart breaking but it is growing frustrating, because I am not able to comfort him.

I cannot get another cat, well I could but honestly I do not want another. I have two Pit Bulls and they get along great with the cats, but I am not ready for another cat. I am thankful he has the two dogs to keep him company but nothing seems to be comforting him.

I feel so badly for him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Awesome forum by the way! :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat. :(
Poor lonesome kitty! I bet it's been a long six weeks for both of you. The common response to this is another cat. But I can certainly understand with 2 dogs and a cat why you may not want another pet. It can also be difficult to introduce a new cat to an existing cat.
It is good your cat has your dogs for companionship. I wish I had some magical remedy for you.
I wish you the best of luck with this.

·
Registered
697 Posts
So sorry for you and your other cat's companion. Its does sound so heartbreaking of his forlorness and sadness. My one cat died 3 weeks ago and my Siamese mix knows something is different but not at all sad like yours. She did the first night and the following week meowed constantly and would wake me up in the middle of the morning with her meowing. I retrospect I believe that was her grieving. I did get another kitty but the timing overlapped (i.e., the kitty was a stray that adopted me about a month before my tabby died). However, its almost 2 months now and the new kitty (another grey tabby) and my Siamese mix DO NOT get along. I have to live for the time being keeping them in separate rooms. All I know is the kitty helped me get through my grief when my tabby was sick and ultimate death. I didn't think I was going to get another cat either. I say go with your feeling.

I don't know what to offer as far as advise for on how to comfort your cat. It's taking a longer time for your cat than it did mine to stop meowing/crying. My sympathies for you and your other cat's buddy.

p.s. Welcome to the forum - you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Welcome to the boards.......you will be sooooo glad you found this place! You will find amazing support here.....I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I am thinking about you. *hugs*

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Yes, your kitty has lost his best friend. It takes time to bounce back from such a loss. I hope he's young enough to adjust to this change in his life. Yes, I would have recommended another cat too. I just lost my dog, within a few months after his "best friend" died. He was old, but went down hill almost immediately. :(

If you see signs of depression, not wanting to eat or play, hiding out by himself, I would do something drastic, such as getting a kitten. (not a cat; they might both be set in their ways.) In the meantime, try to double the attention, time, and attention he gets--to make up for the hours he had with her friend.

I'm so sorry you've had this loss. I'm still having trouble accepting the loss of my dog. My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and your kitty's reaction; it's so sad! But there are a couple of things you can try. I wouldn't recommend getting another cat; it doesn't really help. I made that mistake myself once, and all it did was annoy the grieving cat so she was mournful *and* irritated! Several months later she was ready and willing to accept a new friend, but not so soon.

Flower essences are excellent for this kind of situation. The Bach essences Water Violet and Honeysuckle are very good; we have a combination called "Grief" that is very effective (www.spiritessence.com).

EFT might also help: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=010

Best wishes,
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts