Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cat, Nad, who has a tumor, or some type of growth on the liver – our vet said that he would not know what it was until he did a biopsy. Once this biopsy was done, or vet would determine if this was something that could be removed or not. Right now, Nad is still eating and acting fine, however, he has lost a lot of weight, which prompted our concern.

Since Nad is still acting well, our vet is hopeful, but he is hesitant to promise us anything about the surgery. However, it sounds like surgery is the only option for him. If we do nothing the toxins will eventually overwhelm his system, and a change of diet is not going to make him better.

My concern is this, Nad is eleven years old, and I am afraid that if the surgery doesn’t work, he will spend what time he has left recovering from a failed operation. Does anyone have any experience or advice with a situation like this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That's a tough question. I'd vote for a second opinion, preferably from a veterinary oncologist who can perhaps recommend a less invasive test. Liver biopsies are frequently done with ultrasound and nothing more than a long needle, not surgery. But you need an expert experienced with this technique. Hope you find one nearby!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I probably phrased it wrong, the biopsy was going to be done with a long needle, whatever that is, however, there is not much point in doing the biopsy if, regardless of the results, we do not want to go through with the surgery.

The whole thing is a gamble, unfortunately, I’m not entirely sure what the odds are.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Right, that's why you need a second opinion from an expert. The biopsy *could* show that it is a benign mass, or a cyst or abscess that can easily be treated. Hopefully there is a vet school or referral center near you.

Sincerely,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts