Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. As many of you may know I am new to the forum and recently got a kitten from a local shelter. I have only had him for about a week but I have noticed he drinks A LOT, and when I tent his skin it slowly goes back down (which is a sign of dehydration). He doesn't have any nasal/ocular discharge, but the shelter said he had been exposed to URI. Could this be what is causing the dehydration? He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms of URI (he sneezes sometimes but not a lot maybe once or twice every other day). Could it be a mild URI or just a cold? He seems kinda skinny, but he is eating and drinking.

Any advice would help!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
How are his eliminations? If he has diarrhea, that can very quickly and severely dehydrate a kitten.

You're not giving him any dairy products, right? No milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.? Many felines are lactose intolerant and can't handle dairy products made from cow's milk. If that was the case, though, he would have diarrhea.

Dehydration can be very serious in a kitten, so I'd recommend mixing warm water into his food, or, if you're feeding kibble, soak it in hot water until it's taken up as much water as it can absorb. That'll help put some more fluid into his system.

It sounds like it's time for a vet check with your regular vet, too.

Laurie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! I ended up taking him to the vet and she said he was just a little dehydrated.. she gave him this broth/canned food to try and get him eating more .. She said he was fine and to just encourage more eating and drinking

1 - 3 of 3 Posts