Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage to using a dehydrator, since it seems you can do it in an oven in about 3 hours?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
the real difference i can see is air circulation. Most dehydrators cycle air a bit more then ovens. Other then that you can use either if you are sure of the temps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am confused. I was under the impression that dehydrated meat was still technically raw, but if you dry it in the oven doesn't it cook it? Forgive me for my stupid question. :oops:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Using a dehydrator the temp gets about 140 to 150 degrees. If you use an oven, a temp of 160 (165 for poultry) is suggested by the USDA because that is the temp that kills e coli.

That low of a temp removes the water from the meat over a short time without getting high enough to actually cook the meat. to dry it in the oven you need to place meat on a screen or cake cooling rack with a drip tray positioned below that. There needs to be room for air to move around the meat. Placing it directly on a pan will cause it to basically stew in it's juices which can cook it if you leave it in long enough.

No question is stupid if asked in sincerity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts