Cat Forum banner

dental care

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tanyuh 
#1 ·
If you feed a frankenprey style raw diet do you still brush your cats teeth? How often do you do so?

#5 ·
My elderly kitty was about 13 when we started switching to raw and his teeth were AWFUL. "Overdo for a cleaning" said the vet. He'd never gotten one previously.

Now at 17, the vet says his teeth look like they belong to a cat half his age (actually that was last year, might be better now!) and he doens't see him needing a dental ever. :)

#7 ·
Although not totally related, Rocky the dog switched to a full raw diet from kibble about 2 years ago at age 5. He had bad tartar on the teeth before the switch and I brush on occasion. He's fed beef or chicken chunks, bone-in quail, chicken hearts.

However, I did not see any noticable difference with his teeth except for the first while. When he first switched, the tartar started to receed from the tips of the teeth. Then it stopped. He still has tartar near the gums and also heavily on his front teeth. I'm surmising dental condition is has strong ties with genetics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.