Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/sigh

I had friends of mine nearly convinced to switch their kitties to wet food. They've been feeding dry SO food. None of their current cats have nor have had urinary issues. I'd convinced them that at least wet and when finances allow grain free food would be better for their kitties if hey are hoping to prevent UTI's and other urinary issues. They were even adding water and/or broth.

Well today they took one of their kitties to the vet for a check up because they thought he had a cavity. He doesn't. The vet managed to convince them that because their kitty has inflamed gums that the dental kibble would be the best way to go.

I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall. Ugh ugh ugh.

I know we have plenty links here about why kibble is bad and why kibble in general doesn't do anything for dental health. Does anyone have any links specific to the uselessness of dental kibble? I feel like I'm starting over again and it's been about a year since I first started this, 6 months ago they started incorporating wet and then about a month ago they were actively working to move to 100% wet. :fust

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Actually, dental kibble isn't 100% useless when it comes to cleaning teeth. It's formulated in a way that it doesn't shatter like regular kibble and does provide some scraping action. It also contains enzymes that do help soften plaque. Does it perform miracles on the teeth...no, but it does help.

On the other hand, the ingredients are so bad that the cat will die of a multitude of other organ failures...but it's teeth will be pearly white.

I'd approach it like this "what would you rather have? A cat with kidney failure, diabetes or chronic urinary tract issues but with great teeth...or a healthy toothless cat gumming his canned food?"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh well put, Doodlebug. Perhaps I will appeal to that side of them. /sigh Right now they are so brainwashed by their vet about it. I've shed tears tonight over it. Just so upset for their kitties to have been so close and now not so much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I feel like I've been referencing this site a lot lately, but it's chock full of great info. It even has a "horror story", with pictures, about a cat who had some major urinary issues. They provide information on some health problems, and a lot regarding nutrition.

Catinfo.org

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! Feeling much more sensible about it today and reminded these are not my kitties to decide about, but rather kitties I love oodles. Their humans are close friends or I would not have tried nudging at all. Just about a year ago the were considering a vegan diet to transition to from SO for the cats so this was HUGE steps to be on wet and considering 100% wet. So disappointing and upsetting to now be right back at the beginning. I don't want to give up though. It's just frustrating that intelligent people don't seem to get the "when we know better, we do better" thing with their kitties.

This is my 2012 kitty goal, I think, to get them back on track for transitioning to 100% wet. Knowing them I cannot imagine they will ever feed their kitties raw, but wet is a reasonable goal that was almost achieved. I will get them there again!

AC, I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of these studies or where I might begin to look? Particularly curious about the dental lesions. The idea of causing further pain would certainly help my argument to go back to the wet.

Thanks again all! I definitely know one vet now that won't be going on the possible options list for my 2 if my vet ever leaves town! (I have this strange thing with drs, dentists, hairdressers, etc leaving the country on me! LOL)

·
Registered
262 Posts
A vegan cat food. Let me just make sure I read that right. A vegan diet-one lacking in everything except plant matter, for an obligate carnivore.

WHAT?!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Has anyone consider adding in a product called "PlaqueOff" by ProDen? I've been using it for a month on my Mooch (9 year old torty) and half of her plaque is gone.
Product | SwedenCare
That's the stuff. You add it to your pet's food. It almost melts the plaque off. Works great so far.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! That really is helpful :) And no worries about the delay at all. Happy and appreciative to have the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts